PT Cruiser Brake experience

Hi there.. I have a 2002 PT Limited. I followed this group about 2 years ago and saw where Cruiser brakes went away in approximately 30,000 mi. I think that's what I remember.

I felt the car had excellent stopping ability and so if the brakes went away a bit early, Oh well!

I have been noticing a slight intermittent scraping noise coming from the right rear drum.

To day I went to the dealer and asked about it. He asked me how many miles the car had and I replied 40,000 and it has not had a brake job as yet. I have an appointment for Monday morning.

He was very surprised I could still drive the car because he said 18,000 miles was typical for a brake job. *Smile

He then asked if I was driving a stick shift. I said I was; and then he said that explains it, except even so my mileage was exceptional.

Anyhow, apparently a stick shift gets a lot more out of the brakes. Thought you all might like to know that.

Best regards,

Stan-

Reply to
Stan Dornfeld

I have 41k on a 2001, with Automatic and rear drums. I can't imagine having to a rear brake job at 18k; the rear don't do nearly the work the fronts do. I do occasionally get a grinding noise in the rear drums; however, both times I had it checked out, it was a buildup of brake dust. Dump the dust out, put the drum back on and it's good for another few months before the noise returns.

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 100,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
L, not -L

Thank you!

I'll remove it tomorrow and see how mine is. *Smile

Best regards,

Stan-

Reply to
Stan Dornfeld

Unless that dealers customers live on top of a mountain he is crazy, rear brakes will out last the front at least 2 to one and then even more!!!. and yes assuming that you down shift with the manual trans it will allow the front and rear brakes to last longer

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Even without deliberately downshifting, I find myself using the brakes a lot more on automatic-equipped cars due to the lack of compression braking.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

=============================================== So far all of you have missed two VERY OBVIOUS CONDITIONS: WHERE YOU LIVE! and HOW YOU DRIVE I have a 2001 5 speed PT ( used to have a 92 5 speed Loyale, 128K on original brakes and a 5 speed tercel 99K on original brakes and 188K total miles before coastal cancer ate it) and so far have 45K on it with the only noise from the dust in the right rear drum. I can drive 65 miles east with only one light to brake for, 16 north with only one stop sign, and south for about 30 miles before a light. I ALWAYS gear down, and much to the chagrin of my neighbors to south (CAL) DO NOT FLOOR IT, so I can SCREECH to a STOP at the next light about 2 blocks away. When I approach my turn to go west to the beach, with no traffic behind me, I usually do not need to even apply the brakes to turn as the gears slow me down enough. ===================================== Driving techniques play a very important in all aspects of longevity of the components. With the above mentioned miles of travel, I CHANGE THE OIL and FILTER FAITHFULLY every 6 to 9 THOUSAND MILES. So far all of the above vehicles mentioned have not EVER had ANY ENGINE WORK DONE.

BTB MPG is usually around 27 average! AND I DO HAVE A LEAD FOOT for TOP END SPEED, I do not expect blistering acceleration from 150 HP and a weight of about 3,300 LBS, and of course DO NOT GET IT. Last rocket I owned was a 1965 COMET with a transplanted 351CU CLEVELAND ENGINE and a few speed goodies added......way back in my YOUTH!

howard

Don't brag too much until you get the bill for an early clutch replacement from all that down-shifting :p

Reply to
Steve

Thanks...

Probably a good observation.