PT Cruiser Brake Experience

About 14 months ago the mounting tabs rusted off one of the rear disk pads. A local shop changed them for me (it was winter).

Yesterday one of the rear brakes started to make noise. Today I pulled the pins and the metal bushings and found that the shop had failed to either clean or lube those parts. A little cleaner and synthetic brake lube later all the noise was gone. Apparently the calipers had started to hang up.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

are you joking, you expected some lube to last 14months?

Reply to
Punch

Yes! I find that the better lubes last for a long long time, especially on a protected part like the metal bushings enclosed in a flexible rubber tube.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

ah got ya now, understood, I for some reason thought you meant an exposed part.

Reply to
Punch

completely agree, also:-

1) the car wants servicing every 6 months/7500 miles (in the UK anyway) 2) the brakes hang out in all the rain and dirt that I drive over, a hostile place 3) therefore I consider that checking these is an essential part of the regular service, and so does my garage.

you wait 14 months before checking something that your life depends on????

I'm not really having a go at ya here but you should reconsider your service schedule

pottsy

And you want us to believe you take your calipers apart and lube the pins, sliding surfaces and inner bushings every 6 months.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Not a chance, I'm to lazy for that,