PT Cruiser brake pad dust shield question.

My major complaint about my PT Cruiser is the fact that the front wheels are filthy with brake dust within two days of having been cleaned. JC Whitney lists shields that are put on between the wheel and the pads and block the dust from the wheels. They are supposedly finned to keep the brakes cool. I've heard that on some vehicles these shields are fine, and on others they cause the brakes to overheat. What is the PT's status with using these?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Hmh ... I don`t have that problem at all on my hunchback ... it was really bad when I drove a Neon though ...

Reply to
Hans Mücke

I had the same reaction with my silver '02 PT Cruiser and also looked into the dust shields. What I heard was that they do not do that much good after they fill up and that they can change the wear distribution on the break pads themselves. I also heard that the dust is worse in the first year, which seems to be the case. Other options are to buy 'low dust' break pads, but I hear that they have less stopping power. So I got a bottle of Wheel Cleaner and '7 metal polish' and am a happy man. - RM

Reply to
RickMerrill

Exactly right. Polish the wheels and they will clean-up a lot easier; really. When my 01's front pads needed replacement I put on a new factory set and can't complain about the dust.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard