PT Cruiser - Rear Passenger Window Tube????

I was in Phoenix, AZ recently and noticed that all the PT Cruisers there have some kind of device on the rear passenger window that looks like a metal box with a clear plastic tube (about 1" diameter) sticking out of it. What is this?

Thanks!

Reply to
jcd_columbus

How hot was it there; over 100f in the shade? Perhaps it was a device to vent the hot air that builds up in a parked car; something similar to the Auto Turbo Vent. Take a look, what you saw is probably just another way to do it:

L, not -L

It was 105-114f high each day. I considered that they may be vents, although much more low-tech then the one depicted in the link. Just found it strange that I only encountered it on PT Cruisers....

Thanks for the response!

Reply to
jcd_columbus

Perhaps a dealer promotion; buy a PT in summer, get free vent or some such. That would explain why PT and why all the same style. Wish you had a pic, I'd like to see what you described.

Reply to
L, not -L

Those are the male cruisers. ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

It might have been a new design of old technology, an evaporative cooler. The dry desert air would really make these things work well, and save a lot of $$$ in gas. I haven't seen any such thing on the PT's here in Tucson. MB

Reply to
M. Blomquist

I find it strange also. I live in Phoenix, and have not seen any! Are you talking about the ones on the dealers lot? If so, those are cheap vents they keep on most of the vehicles in the summer, so the interiors are not cooking hot. They take them out when they sell the cars.

Reply to
David

A Co-Worker mentioned seeing something strange on the PT's in downtown Phoenix. I wasn't able to correlate at that time, but that evening, there were two parked in the resort parking lot, wihch enabled me to get a closer look. I looked all over online, but didn't see anything for sale under "PT Cruiser" AND "plastic tube," or "PT Cruiser" AND "Snorkel." Possibly an anomaly, but figured I'd poke around and see if I could determine what they were....

Further description - Metal box with a 1" diameter, clear plastic tube sticking out. Hangs off the rear, passenger side window.

Reply to
jcd_columbus