PT Cruiser turn indicators and towing

I've just been towing a caravan for the first time with my 2003 CRD Touring. All was fine until I disconnected the caravan plug from the car socket and headed home. Now the turn signals are flashing faster as if indicating a blown lamp but all are OK on the car. The car was fitted a mopar towing system complete with removable tow ball when I bought it and this is the first time its been used. I can still hear the relay clicking as if it expects the caravan to still be there. Anyone any suggestions where to look first.

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

For myself and any others who may not be familiar with the term

*caravan,* is this what would be called a *trailer* in the U.S.?

Did the towing package include a heavy duty flasher unit? Seems like the flasher is now expecting the additional load that the trailer lamps provided.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Yes a caravan and trailer wiring circuits are the same so it can apply to both. I bought the car used at 18 month old and the towing system was already fitted so don't know if its a heavy duty flasher unit. I tested the socket on a friends trailer before setting off to pick up my own and it didn't cause the the fast flash when the plug was removed. Then I set off to pick up my trailer and towed it 200 miles back with no problems. It was when I disconnected after the journey and used the indicators for the first time that I noticed the fast flash on both left and right while driving home.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

Problem solved, there is a switch in the tow socket that tells the system when a trailer is plugged in. The switch was stuck so saying I had a trailer connected and the indicator circuit expected the extra load of the trailer lamps. Once I'd freed off the switch the indicator flash speed dropped back to normal.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds