PT Cruiser-Wax?

Hi, I have a 2004 PT Cruiser with Inferno Red paint and clear coat. it is about 30 months old. Should I wax it?

Thanks,

Warm Regards, Mogur2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Reply to
mogur2

God

about 30 months old.

The most expensive paint available for vehicles will not stand up to long term exposure to ultraviolet no matter how much clearcoat you put on it. The purpose of car wax is the same as sunscreen that you put on your arms when you go into the sun.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Ever since my first clear coat car, a Chrysler Le'Baron sedan in 1986, I've been washing with Turtle Wash & Wax. Got the idea from fiberglass boat users. This avoids scratching the clear coat applying a wax. The only caution is to avoid getting it on the windows. Works great, my '95 Concord still shines like new and gets a new wax job every time I wash it.

Reply to
Some O

months old.

I sure would. Waxing should be fine for new paint after six months or so. I like Meguiar products, there are many other decent waxes out there as well. Liquid (more like a lotion) waxes are easier on the wrists to apply then the solids in the can.

Waxing should not be done in direct sunlight, and there may be temperature restrictions as well.

Reply to
Greg Houston

On my PT I use "3-M ULTRA HIGH GLOSS" liquid wax. It provides the best "wet-look" of all the products I've tried over the years. White paint is not known for high gloss shine, but with this product it does shine nicely. I use an 8" buffer and do the Cruiser every 5 months or so. I like the extra UV protection being in Florida.

R G

The objective fact is that UV protection must be formulated into the paint and clearcoat; it cannot be added. Some venders, such as FIAT left out UV protection when the last imported cars to North America, and those non-clearcoated vehicles quickly oxidized and the color faded.

Today's North American, Asian and European made vehicles are built with superior paints that don't benefit from any coatings. But a good non-aggressive wax type coating can make the water bead and the color look deeper. The best last for about two months, most last about two weeks, at best. These is so much hype out there about these products it is hard to believe. It is far more important to keep the paint clean of toxic chemicals and to avoid micro scratches caused by not using enough clean water during the cleaning task. A commercial car wash with a basic clean cycle about twice a month (depending upon local conditions), is a good step. Note that in salt use areas, water is usually recycled and you are essentially washing your car with brine during the winter months when salt is in heavy use. Life is a bitch and there are no magic solutions out there to protect your paint.

Richard

Reply to
Richard