PT "missing" at idle...

Hi-- My '03 Cruiser with 18K miles seems to be missfiring at idle when warmed up. It'll be running smoothly, then it will miss . Usually it's only one miss, but sometimes there will be two or even three in a row. While waiting at the average traffic light, this might happen several times. The car runs fine while actually driving. It may or may not be related, but in the past several weeks I've had a hard time starting the car first thing in the morning. Most days it's fine, but about 3 times I've really had to crank it for a LONG time before the engine caught. Nights are getting cooler in upstate NY, but not really cold yet (30's

-4o's). The dealer tells me there is a TSB calling for a different type of plug and new plug wires. Think this will fix both problems? FWIW-- on separate occasions they've already replaced two plugs on this relatively low mileage car...

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

maxpower

The OEM wires haven't had the best history, I've heard some PT owners having ignition problems getting them replaced under warranty. Also, at 18k miles you might want to replace the full set of spark plugs, yeah I know you had 2 done already, but it might be worth it.

SRG

Reply to
SRG

hiya,

had the same thing on the '04 Cruiser, after changing the cat (still missing) the dealer then changed the plugs and the problem mostly went away (the engine still occasionally takes time to "wake up" after overrun i.e. no immediate throttle response, the dealer said this was the fuel computer resetting itself (?) and is normal. Needless to say the dealer doesn't get the regular service work.

the engine check idiot light never came on.

the dealer did say that the standard plugs were a known fault and that japanese plugs performed much better in this engine.

pottsy

Reply to
maxpower

Forgot that: it's an '03

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

Where was I at too? I believed you and reposted the year. Guess both of our brains are misfiring too... :-)

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

sounds like you've been taken for a ride, why change the cat due to an idle problem, and I hope it was under warranty, also what is a fuel control computer??

Reply to
Punch

Reply to
maxpower

I have a 2001. I just had my mechanic change the plugs at 30,000. His labor charge was $45, the dealer wanted $115. Was there a SB stating that the plugs in the 2001 causing a problem? The dealer also wanted $75 to change the power steering fluid. I opted out on this seeing that I couldn't find this reccomended service in the owner's manual at any mileage.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Is it possible that a throttle body cleaning would remedy this problem?

Bill Putney

Probably not. Dirty throttle bodies generally cause poor driveability and stalling upon near-zero-speed deceleration, but not idle misfire.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Crank or cam sensor. Friends PT was doing same thing. Crank sensor fixed problem.

Reply to
Mike Behnke