PT Transmission Question for the techs.

Hello all-

first time posting in a long time-our PT's have been doing great!!!!!

CAR: 2003 PT/LE. 4 Cyl. Automatic

Question-Today, on the while getting on the highway-the PT would not accelarate when we hit the gas. When you accelarate normal-you can hear the car shift gears, until you get up to 55 - 65 mph or normal cruise.

The car would not shift the gears, the RPM/Tac went bizerk and pegged to about 4000, then we shut it off. We let the car rest awhile, and checked the fluid levels for the tran., which was normal. We started the car back up, pulled off and as soon as we accelarated again-it revved high again.We shut it down again-and called AAA/ had it towed home.

Any thoughts on this matter most welcome. Is there a switch, or is the transmission ka-put????

Reply to
pe2

This may sound odd, but was your speedometer still working?

Reply to
zmhm

If the car still drove but didn't shift gears, you went into "limp" mode. When the transmission controller detects something out of spec, it goes into limp mode which locks you into 2nd gear. It could be something simple like a sensor or it could a more major problem. You need to get the transmission checked.

Reply to
carlkeehn

Appreciate the help-

The transmission is gone at 70k+. We had it checked, and the fluid line had low pressure. The tech said the pump was gone, and if there were any shavings in the trans, then if it went thru the pump/trans-would not shift properly.

A wonderful christmas present to be had on Christmas eve! pe2

Reply to
pe2