PTC GT Turbo - standard engine?

Is the 220hp High Output 2.4 Turbo engine standard on all GT's since

2003, or were there some that got different engines...anyone know?

SWS

Reply to
sceptimus_smith

All PT Cruiser engines in the US are the 2.4 L. The GT is the high output

220 hp. I believe in 2006 the hp was bumped up to 225. There is a turbo option on other PT's but it is referred to as the "turbo lite" putting out 180 hp. The turbo lite can get by on regular gas. The higher output GT requires premium gas.

============

Reply to
CopperTop

Thanks - I was curious about this because because on some GT's I've seen the "High Output" badge on the back, on others the badge is not there. It's your understanding that ALL of the GT Turbo's got the HO,

225hp engine standard, yes?
Reply to
sceptimus_smith

That is correct, all GTs have the High Output turbo engine. Before the

180 HP "Turbo Lite" came out there was no need for the "High Output" tag, because they were all high output.

My 2003 GT has 220 HP Turbo (high output), and Premium Gas is recommended, but not required by Chrysler. However, all the "motor heads" say you really should only use premium gas. I don't know about the Chrysler's gas requirements for the newer 225 HP models.

Joe

sceptimus snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
robinjoe61

Joe, thanks for that great info, and quite the coincidence - I just drove home this evening in my first PT Cruiser, a 2003 red GT. Couldn't afford a brand new one and had to settle for gently used, but after driving it for most of the day I have to say I'm quite impressed....I love the kick of the turbo when you stomp on the gas....I also own a 1966 mustang with a 289 four-barrel, and the GT Turbo is definitely faster. I'm already planning mods....a billet front chrome grill, borla dual exhaust, maybe some blue dot tail lights.......i think its cool that there are so many after market parts, clubs, and modders out there for such a relatively new car.

SWS

Reply to
sceptimus_smith

Be careful with the blue dot tail lights. Some states claim they are illegal as are most/all aftermarket blue or red lights added to the car, such as the lighted washer nozzels, underbody neons, etc.

Where are you located? If you're a mid atlantic cruiser, check out

=================

Reply to
CopperTop

You should check out my PT Cruiser info and photo page:

I got mine used in March 2004 with only 4,500 miles on it (just broken in) for $17,000 at CarMax. I think that used PT Cruisers are one of the real bargains out there. The prices depreciate in line with other American make cars, but their reliability is on par with the Japanese.

With the PT Cruiser GT you get 3 cars in one: a hot rod, a small SUV, and a comfy family car. I just wish the mileage was better. The best mileage I've gotten (averaged across 3 fill-ups) was 27 MPG, but I usually get about 18-19. But then, I've got a lead foot.

Reply to
robinjoe61

Copper, thanks for the info - yeah, I'm aware that some states are positively draconian when it comes to car mods. One a positive note, it looks like the folks at SEMA are actively lobbying and fighting for common sense car mod laws, and specifically with respect to lighting. I live in Texas and thus far I haven't found any regulations that would be problematic with respect to the mods I plan for the car.

SWS

Reply to
sceptimus_smith

Nice GT Cruiser! These pix are from a relatively low-rez camera phone so the quality isn't that great, but you can see mine at:

I must say, for the price, styling, horsepower and reliability (Consumer Reports raves about PT's), there really isn't anything out there to compare with a PT Cruiser GT Turbo. I think it's an awesome car.

SWS

Reply to
sceptimus_smith

I would also like to invite you all to