Q: Automotive security

Is there a security system that will stump the professionals? Short of having the car towed, how can I "guarantee" the car will never be stolen?

Reply to
Phil Breau

Don't own one. Other than that there isn't really anything.

Reply to
Bill 2

Don't say that. Half the thieves want cars to joyride / commit a crime.

90-95 Voyagers and Caravans, along with Acclaims are popular targets for thieves because they are fairly popular (have been for a while) and are easy to steal for a getaway car. Imagine how many bags with dollar signs you could fit in a caravan!
Reply to
Bill 2

I agree with Nomen about the old jalopy. I lived in a area (not bad) where cars were stolen every once in a while including: Sundance, Jetta, Caravan. My car was amongst these cars. Sometimes left the doors unlocked. Had a $1500.00 boom box in the hatch. The old jalopy was a Plymouth Horizon - never was touched. Like Nomen said "an old jalopy no body wants." If anything, a thief would throw a loonie inside the part open window as sympathy. No, I don't want to get a security system for this POS (piece of crap) It's gone and I now drive a 98 Cirrus LXI. I like what they had in Robocop III. Where can I get one of those?

Reply to
Phil Breau

No way. Last car I had stolen was a 1978 Datsun 510, this was about 1996. The car had paint peeling off and looked like hell, it was stolen out of a parking lot. It cost me more to get it out of the tow yard than it was worth, book value.

The cops said that most car thiefs just need transportation, that's it. They drink up their bus money, etc. and at 2:00 in the morning need to get home, they steal older cars because there's less chance of a functioning alarm system and the locks are easier to just smash open. The cops also said that the trick of using a "club" or chain through the steering wheel doesen't work, it's only a few minutes work to hacksaw through a steering wheel. They recommended an alarm.

I take the cheap way out and just leave my cell phone charger plugged into the cigarette lighter, and hide where the cord goes. At night it's hard to see except for a little bright red LED, so there's enough doubt that the car might have an alarm that they leave it alone. A trick I used to do in college where I had friends that liked to play practical jokes was to remove the high tension wire to the coil.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

The real "professionals" ie: the people that steal sports cars to strip them for parts, use tow trucks.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Todays cars are equipped with skim keys, they have a chip in the key that the module must see before the vehicle will start, As far as stealing the vehicle without starting it, such as towing......get lo-jack.. but nothing is fool proof

Reply to
damnnickname

Never park outside other than a garage!

Reply to
john smith

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Wow,

I stand corrected. Really, your 18 year-old $100 Datsun 510 stolen? We must have been parked in the same lot. The guy must have seen my car and thought he could do better - and he did:) I better go put a lock and chain on my garbage can and recycle bins

Reply to
Phil Breau

You never worry about a japanese car was stolen. Your racist comment about japanese and foreigner are very nice. I like that. Time to buy good old american made steel. I like that too :)

Reply to
Red Cloud