ques regarding park/ignition interlock

Grand Voyager, 1998, auto transm. Problem occurred a couple of evenings ago - I was in a store's parking lot, put in the ignition key, and it wouldn't turn.

(Tried a second key I had also).

Figured it was an interlock issue, so tried shaking the transmission lever, moving the steering wheel, etc., but no good.

A friendly mechanic suggested rocking the car (by hand) back and forth, and that worked...

I got home and hoped it was a once-only event. But the next morning it happened again (not as bad, though, and I was able to start up again).

Can't get to the shop for a couple more days, so what I've been doing (cover your eyes before reading...) is _leaving_ the key in with the ignition set to "off" rather than "lock", and using my other key to secure the door. (fortunately my main parking spots are private enough that this s ok).

Related problem is that this drains the battery, but I can deal with that if needed.

Any suggestions as to how much work fixing this (and how much money...) will take? Thanks muchly.

Reply to
danny burstein

The ignition switch Tumblers (wafers ) are worn out preventing the key from turning. As you are turning the key tap on it with a heavy object several time such as a wrench or small hammer and the key will turn. Have the switch replaced or rebuilt.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower