Question about 2.7 engine!!!!

I have a 99 Chrysler Intrepid and have only had it for 6 months. Loud knocking noise had me take it to mechanic. He told me it was time for a new engine!! Mentioned that if I kept driving it, the rod would probably go thru the engine and seize it. The engine has 189,000 kms. on it. I'm now looking for an engine for it......can somebody suggest to me where to look and whether I have to have another 2.7 or whether I can upgrade the engine. (I live in Ottawa, Ontario)

The mechanic also said the 2.7 is garbage and pretty much said any mechanic would tell me that. Wish I had known about it before.

Thanks, Deanna snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Bob Seabrooke

Lots of people have put a lot of mileage on that engine with no problems. On the other hand it has to be very carefully maintained with timely oil changes and even so some people claim their engine went bad despite good maintenence.

There is a site that offers a cheaper alternative than replacing the 2.7 with another 2.7.

I cannot vouch for it but it looks interesting and worth considering.

My 99 300M has the 3.5 engine, thankfully.

Reply to
Art

Yes, it does.

Combine that with a good used engine found via

(original poster: You can limit your search to Canada or even just to Ontario) and off you go.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Someone once posted a website that went into the details of putting a Chrysler 3.2L engine in place of the 2.7, and included the rationale of why it makes economic sense as well. The 3.2 was an optional engine in LH cars between the 2.7 and 3.5. The 3.2 and 3.5 are both excellent, long-lasting, reliable engines (I've got >250,000 miles on a 93 3.5), but the 2.7 is not related to them either mechanically or in terms of reputation.

You might dig through the google groups archives to see if you can find the reference, or maybe someone can post it. I wouldn't hesitate a SECOND in replacing a blown 2.7 with a used 3.2 or better yet a 3.5 (but the 3.2 is generally much cheaper because its a "forgotten" engine.)

Reply to
Steve

Read this post on DI.net:

That guy claims to have gotten a new 2.7L engine for free, and if you ask he'll tell you how he did it. Could be a come on, but it doesn't cost anything to ask.

If you start over with a 2.7 and put synthetic in it, it should do fine. Assuming there's something to the guy's claim, given the choice of a free 2.7 or paying money for a 3.2 or 3.5, you'd have to decide which would be the better way to go.

Bill Putney

Based on the posting I suspect what he did is he poured Marvel Mystery Oil in the thing to temporarily quiet down the engine, then somehow managed to purchase an extended warranty, then let the engine blow itself up. The lawyer was probably to enforce the letter of the extended warranty contract.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

MMO would not quiet down a fatally sludged up engine, and I don't know why you would expect it to - that's not how it works.

Bill Putney

That is essentially exactly what he did. And it wasn't free, he had to pay $1100.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

How sad that anything has to come to this with today's technology being able to build something like a gas engine that lasts for a reasonable time.

This summer my wife's 4 cyl. Honda Accord will celebrate it's 200,000th mile. My neighbors 2 Accords had 230,000 and 300,000 respectivly at the time they were given to their college age son. My 1987 Acura Legend had 185,000 when I sold it in 1997 and I still see it around town today.

So, how long can I drive my 2004 Sebring Convertible before the engine implodes? I guess I'll spend the $$$ for the synthetic and change it every

3,000. My wife's Accord got oil changes every 5,000 with regular oil and still is fine. Or......do I spend $2,000 for the deluxe extended warantee and just not care until 100,000 miles and have the thing melt at 101,000? Any ideas?

Fred

Reply to
Fredisg

Even sadder is that anything has to come to this with *yesterday's* technology was able to build something like a gas engine that lasts more than a reasonable time.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I just posted another post similar to the problem here. The whole engine thing happened to me tonight! Hopefully my father will read this and see that the whole engine knocking thing IS NOT my fault!

My 98 Concorde only has 72K on her...go figure!

I'd rather not have to spend anything, but if I had my choice of $1100 to sneak around and get the extended warranty (which I didn't have the money for when we bought the car!) or have to pay $2500 for a new engine, I'd take the $1100 anyday!

Carmencita

Reply to
Carmencita

My 93 Chrysler engine has 211,000 miles, my '66 has 267,000 miles, and my 74 over 400,000 miles.

So you spend >200,000 miles driving a car so generic it would bore Walter Mitty to tears. No thanks... I hate Honduhs.

Reply to
Steve