Question Regarding CRS Leak

OK...I'm an idiot about these things, so someone tell me this is a stupid question and there's an easy fix. I've got a 97 Plymouth Neon (SOHC). I've got a coolant leak in the CRS; I mean the stuff just pours out. Looking in, it seems to be along the left side of the CRS tank, from an oval-shaped opening. Is this something I can fix myself, or should I expect to hack off a limb for the auto shop?

Opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
paladinfreelance

I would suggest removing the tank for a closer look. Empty out the coolant, and fill with water to determine the leakage location. If the crack or hole is small, you may be able to glue or seal the leak.

I had a leak in the tank on my 1993 Voyager. There is a positioning tab on the bottom of the tank. Overtime, a crack developed along the tab. I tried to glue it, but it wouldn't hold.

If you don't want to buy a new tank, perhaps one for a salvage yard will do.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

I'm not sure if this is a pressure bottle, but if it is, they have a finite life on them, so it's not the type of thing you'd want to get at a junk yard since any you get there is likely to be 6 mo. to a year from end of life. A new one from dealer probably wouldn't cost more than $30.

Bill Putney

I've had no problems with plastic tanked radiators from junkyards. I think a lot of it depends on if the coolant was regularly changed and maintained at the correct proportions.

JB Weld works well for plastic repairs, but I wouldn't put it on a plastic pressure vessel.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt