question regarding heating/ac fan, 98 voyager

The fan in my 98 voyager completely died, with nothing at all happening when I went through the various rotary switch settings.

When I drove up to the shop, it came on and did fine.

It died again an hour later.

Drove to shop, it's fine.

This has happened a bunch of times by now.

The folk there suggest that it's probably the fan motor with a "dead spot" (they had a differnet term which I've forgotten). They figure what's happening is that sometimes the motor shuts off with everything positioned just wrong, so turning it on does nothing.

Then, a bit later, after some potholes.... it gets shaken and moved enough to get to a "live" portion and comes back.

They recommend replacing the fan assembly (this is the one that's right behind the passenger side glove compartment).

It makes sense to me, but I figured I'd ask around for a second opinion before committing the cash.

Thoughts? Thanks muchly.

Reply to
danny burstein

(note: I previously posted this in r.a.dodge, not knowing about this group. Apologies for the duplication to anyone reading this twice.)

[...]

Does this happen only on the lower speeds, or on "HI" too?

If you are so inclined, I would suggest checking the blower resister. It is located in the compartment near the blower. It will have a connector, with a mounting screw at each end.

When the switch is set to "HI" the power is not routed through any of the resistors.

If you by pass the resistor, the blower should stay on high when on. If it still shuts off, then your blower motor is most likely at fault. If you need a new resistor, they can be bought from NAPA. I paid $25 for the last one that I got for my 2000 Chrysler Cirrus.

-KM

Reply to
KirkM

On all speeds, hence ...

All speeds, alas. Hence I doubt it's the rotary switch.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
danny burstein