Radiator Average Life (Preventive Maint. Question)

I have a 94 GC with the 3.3 engine. I had the head gasket done when I purchased the van due to a coolant leak. Since that day it has not lost so much as 1 drop of coolant, and it runs great.

I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance, and this is why I am here now. I looks like this summer I will be doing a LOT of driving through the Rocky Mountains. I will have six people in the van + gear, so we will be fairly loaded, but NO towing of any kind. I am pretty much due for a coolant flush & fill (been a little over 2 years now), and I was wondering...

What is the approximate life of the radiators in these vans? The last thing I want is to be stuck in the Rocky Mountains waiting for some gas station to get the part in at God knows what price. As far as I can tell this is the original radiator, then again I am no expert and do not know exactly what to look for.

If I was going to get the coolant done anyways....

In any case, my vehicle has been well maintained. Any advice about the radiator, or anything else I should have checked before such a trip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: I just had the trans serviced - new solenoid pack, new filter, and ATF+4 installed by excellent shop - so that base is covered. :)

Reply to
NewMan

When I have experienced radiator problems, it has usually started with a small leak, so I have not been left stranded. Since you have a 1994, it is the bigger radiator. The 1992's and before used the smaller one that could overheat. I have a 1993 and have driven the mountains of Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana without any overheating problems.

Has the water pump ever been changed? Mine failed at 72,000 miles. It started to make a lot of noise, but I was able to make it home. A friend was not so lucky. His seized up on a trip, leaving him stranded.

Also, make sure your sepentine belt is in good shape. The belt tensioners tend to fail on these engines. I am on 3rd one after 13 years and 89,000 miles. Both failed close to home, but required a tow to the shop.

You were wise to have the transmission serviced. One less thing to worry about.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

IIRC, the previous owner changed the water pump hoping to fix the leak. When I told him prior to purchase that my mechanic had identified a leaking head gasket, he absolutlely refused to accept it.

New belt and tensioner about 1.5 years ago - both as preventive maintenance (no tow to shop). Belt was starting to squeel, and tensioner bearing was squeeking badly at the time.

Thanks

Reply to
NewMan

My radiator went bad at 104K, a 1999 T&C.

Reply to
harry

What happended when it went bad? Did it start leaking, or not cooling?

When radiators were made of brass, they could be repaired in most cases. Now, most of made of aluminum with plastic tanks. The radiator in my 1990 Dodge Spirit developed a leak, and the shop said they couldn't fix it. A new one was $100.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

I believe that most rads are a plastic called kryptonite nowadays.

I recall when my 87 Olds was having a problem, and I took the rad in to have it fixed. It was about $125 to have it re-cored. No problem at all. While I was picking it up, a plymouth voyager drove in with a rad leak. The guy at the shop said it was indeed bad, and also plastic and could not be fixed - at least not with any tools he had at his shop. The solution - new rad. $250 for the part + labour to install + taxes.

Admittedly, he was in and out of the shop in less than 30 minutes, but it cost him over double what it did for me to get my brass rad fixed.

I am just c>

Reply to
NewMan

If you are that paranoid, I'd just buy a new car before your trip.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It is still way cheaper to maintain my existing vehicle than it is to drop $600 a month to purchase a new decked-out mini-van. Besides, a new vehicle is no guarantee of reliability. All you have is a warranty. So if it breaks, they will fix it. You still could be stranded for a few days while they get off their ass to do it - presuming, of course, that you don't get hassled by the non-existant customer service exhibited by most large companies these days.

I just got finished watching CBC's marketplace. A woman had a 1999 van where the pin blew out a hold in her transmission case. Her repair bill: $2200 + tax. Chryslers response: Oh, no one else is having this problem, and your vehicle as 170,000 km on it, so there is nothing we can do. She got to speak with the head of Engineering for Chrysler Canada. He would NOT do anything for her.

And another couple who had to take DC to the Supreme Court of Canada to get their money on a defective truck that caught fire over a headlight assembly that Chrysler KNEW was defective and tried to ignor them. It took them 7 years, but they WON in the Supreme Court. It should have been settled 6.5 years previous, IMHO.

I'll take my chances with my old van. At least with the help of you all here, and an h>NewMan wrote:

Reply to
NewMan