Rattle from engine in 1990 Grand Caravan 3.3L V6

I've got a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3L V6 engine. It has approximately 130,000 miles on it. There is a rattling noise coming from the engine, that appears to only happen at idle. Interestingly enough, the noise doesn't appear to happen when the car is very cold (ie

Reply to
newsgroups

Stretched/loose timing chain perhaps?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Serpentine belt tensioner chattering/failing?

snipped-for-privacy@erickotz.com wrote:

Reply to
RWM

That was sort of my suspicion too - that it was the timing chain.

I know on some engines, slippage of the timing belt/chain can result in catastrophic failure - is this one of those engines? Or when the timing chain finally does jump/break, can I just put a new one on and everything else will be fine? Is there any real problem with just running it until the Timing Chain jumps/breaks, then replacing it?

Additionally, how hard is it to change the Timing Chain on this engine? Thanks, Eric Kotz snipped-for-privacy@erickotz.com

Reply to
newsgroups

It could very well be the timing chain. Had the same noise with my 93 3.3 Changed the chain and it was quiet. I was really surprised how stretched it was. It's an involved process changing it (at least for me). Not difficult, but you need to remove the passenger side engine mount, move the a/c compressor out of the way, support the motor. I changed my oil pan gasket at the same time so I had the pan off also. If you pull the pan, careful to support the engine in such a way that you can still rotate the crank to line up the marks on the sprockets. The toughest part for me was getting the new crank sprocket on (I got a set, includes the sprockets and chain). You can't pound it on, you need to heat it up and then it slides right on. But not too hot. good luck Nick

Reply to
ncs

reduce oven to 325. Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together then poke holes in top. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup. Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned ½ cup cooking oil Carrots onions broccoli whole cabbage fresh green beans potato turnip celery tomato ½ stick butter

1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil. Add a little water, season, then add the carcass. Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick. Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock, so that it remains boiling the whole time. Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender (2 hours approximately). Continue seasoning to taste. Before serving, add butter and pasta, serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat (of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with

Reply to
newsgroups

- 45 minutes.

Umbilical Cordon Bleu

Nothing is so beautiful as the bond between mother and child, so why not consume it? Children or chicken breasts will work wonderfully also.

4 whole umbilical chords (or baby breasts, or chicken breasts) 4 thin slices of smoked ham, and Gruyere cheese Flour eggwash (milk and eggs) seasoned bread crumbs 1 onion minced salt pepper butter olive oil

Pound the breasts flat (parboil first if using umbilical cords so they won?t be tough). Place a slice of ham and cheese on each, along with some minced onion then fold in half, trimming neatly. Dredge in flour, eggwash, then seasoned breadcrumbs; allow to sit for a few minutes. Sauté in butter and olive oil until golden brown, about 6 minutes on each side.

Shish Kababes

As old as the hills, this technique has employed seafood, beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and vegetables; just about anything can be grilled, and young humans are no exception!

High quality marinade (Teriyaki and garlic perhaps)

1 inch cubes of tender meat, preferably from the nursery Onions bell peppers Wooden or metal skewers

Mar

Reply to
ncs

Erik:

Do you hear the noise, when you are inside the van, or just when near the engine compartment? Also, you describe a rattle. Does it by any chance sound more like, how would I describe it?, like a loose utility pole wire, hitting a puddle of water, that causes sparks. I am only talking about the sound. Sort of like a hand crank electrical generator? If so , let me know.

Reply to
j.lef

I realize this is not a very good description, but it sounds more like a semi-random rattling noise, almost like a "clacking" sound. If anyone really wants to know, I could record a sound file of it. It doesn't really sound like a buzzing from a vibration. Also, assuming this is the timing chain, what will happen if I ignore it? I realize the chain will ultimately break/jump, but when that happens, am I risking any other engine damage on this engine (valves, etc)?

Reply to
newsgroups