Re: 2000 concorde high speed "Vibration"

Hi All,

> > I have a 2000 Concorde LXi 3.2L with 41k miles. Recently, a vibration in > the seats (but not in the steering wheel) developed between speeds of 50 and > 70 mph (not that I ever break the speed limit, you understand) which is > driving me crazy. I had all the tires balanced, rims checked, alignment > performed, and the brakes, front and back, replaced. The tires only have > 12k miles on them. Still the problem persists. I am getting nowhere with > the dealership's service department, despite their recognition of the > anomaly. Someone told me the CV joint(s) might be worn, since I have done > everything else. This sort of makes sense, since this is an expensive > repair that is covered under warranty. My questions are as follows: > > 1. Should the dealership's service department have brought this up as an > option to look at? > > 2. Would it be reasonable to expect the CV joints to be worn or damaged > with relatively low milage? > > 3. Is there ANY other explanation that could account for this? > > I greatly appreciate and suggestions..... > > Thank you, > Michael

I own a '99 Concorde with just over 95k miles on it, plus I have frequented several 2nd Gen. LH forums (300M, Intrepid). Not once have I heard of a bad CV joint on one of these cars, though I'm sure it has happened to someone - but at

41k and no torn boot? Very doubtful.

Vibration? Could be front wheel bearing - they do go bad (replaced one myself at about 65k).

These cars are also *very* sensitive to tire problems. Rotate the tires around and see if things change at all which may not fix the problem, but may tell you if a tire(s) is(are) the problem.

Did the problem develop since you replaced the tires or was it there before that? What kind of tires do you have on there. Some brands and models work on these cars, many don't (especially of the "high-performance" type).

But that's my guess - either a wheel bearing or a tire issue. You might also consider warped front brake rotors. It would be worth ten minutes of your time to check that the lug nuts are properly torqued - i.e., not overtorqued (or there may be permanent warpage - that is also common, but it generally doesn't cause vibration until brakes are applied).

Bill Putney

Quit putting quarters into the Magic Fingers slot next to the seat.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Bill, Thanks so much for your reply.

Did the problem develop since you replaced the tires or was it there before that? The problem developed well after the tires were replaced, but I replaced them with the tires that came with the car. Also, when the brakes were done, the rotors were turned.

I actually had the tires balanced twice - once by a Firestone place up the road, and the second at the dealership who insisted THEY do it also just to make sure. During this process the tires were rotated. I see no uneven tire wear.

Since my post, I have made contact with a friend's friend who is a mechanic at another chrysler dealership. He has also told me he suspects bearings. (good call)

Thanks again!

Regards, Michael

Reply to
Zenophus

LOL!!

it's actually $1.00......but the bill taker gets stuck at speeds greater than 50 mph

Reply to
Zenophus

Many problems people have with the tires on the 2nd Gen. LH cars, especially in the earlier years ('98-'00) *ARE* with the tires that came from the factory. But you still didn't say which tires you have.

There can be some wear patterns that are not so obvious - for example, if the tread is more "open" or "agressive" (as with many so-called "performance tires"), the tread blocks (those "islands" of rubber, especially around the edge of the tread) can develop cupping, or what I call a rake angle wear pattern that will *definitely* cause a vibration.

Also - I must repeat that you should check that the lug nuts are properly torqued. Ten minutes of your time, and it's free, and may or may not be the problem - unless you *know* the tire place is using a torque wrench or an impact wrench with a torque stick, you cannot trust that the lug nuts aren't over-torqued. Don't overlook the simple and cheap possibilities first. It would not be unusual for one or both tire places that touched those tires to have overtorqued the lug nuts either manually or because they used an impact wrench without proper torque limiting.

This may help narrow things down: Either a bad bearing or the raked tread blocks will give a very steady

*higher* pitched noise - like a hum that changes pitch with vehicle speed. *But* if it's either a broken belt under the tire tread *or* brake rotor warpage, the noise will be more like a steady pulsation - too low in pitch to be called a "hum" (because the source of the noise is one or two "thumps" per wheel revolution rather than many many smaller impulses per revolution that the bad bearing or tread blocks would give).

HTH

Bill Putney

I had a problem as well with high speed vibration. My car, 98 Intrepid, would vibrate at 100km and over. It turns out the alignment was out and cupped the tires causing the vibration. I would recommend going to a professional tire shop where they have better calibrated machines to do the job. You also may want to try getting a "road force balance" for you tires, this will spot any defective tires.

My two cents.....

Reply to
David Severson