Re: Answer this puzzler

Car pulls hard to right. Front wheels switched left-to-right and

> right-to-left. Now car pulls hard to left. > > When fronts are rotated to rear, car is neutral. > > This tells me the pull was not due to misalignment, but due to tires > themselves. How can tires make such a difference? > > Chrysler shop manual devotes an entire page to "car lead" and its > correction. It address the significance of pronounced influence of tires > to this problem. > > I frankly don't know how tires can cause major turning tendencies but they > can and do. Knowing this all the more puzzles me why there is not a > provision for the driver to neutralize these pulling tendencies other than > by constantly inputing counteracting steering wheel forces. Anybody who > drives knows how much better it is when the car is "neutral" in > directional > stability. > > While it has been suggested that a servo adjustable (opposite and equal) > wheel camber might do the trick, there might also be electronic solutions > utilizing miniature directional gyros as seen in the Segway machines. > Whatever method is selected, its time has come to allow driver fine-tuning > of the steering system to totally eliminate vehicle lead, regardless of > road, tire, and wind conditions, or suspension discrepancies. >

A trick I had learned is to remove the tire from the rim and flip it over so the back of the tire is now the front. You can only do this with non-directional tires. My wife's Shadow SE use to do this with her first set of Eagle GTs I just flipped the tire and it fixed the problem.

Reply to
Coasty

A trick I had learned is to remove the tire from the rim and flip it over so the back of the tire is now the front. You can only do this with non-directional tires. My wife's Shadow SE use to do this with her first set of Eagle GTs I just flipped the tire and it fixed the problem.

Reply to
Coasty

Would you not need two of these things?? Just in case one went bad, you'd have a back up already in place. Much like the fuel pumps you like to bitch about.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Tires, espically cheap ones, sometimes have rubber that isn't a uniform density. As a result, in your case the tire on the side that the car pulls to has a smaller diameter than the other tire since it's worn down faster. You can also have different regions of the tire wear faster due to the same problem.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Swapping the tires from one side to the other should immeidately pinpoint if the tires themselves are causing a pulling problem for whatever reason.

Bill Putney

directional

...then along comes som idiot, who adjusts his/her car incorrectly and "leads" it right into either the median or ditch. Voila - instant lawsuit! Ain't America great?

Reply to
Jeff Falkiner