Re: Automatic Transmission Drag Kills Stop and Go Gas Mileage

On virtually every automatic transmission car, while in stop and go

> driving, it is necessary for the driver to ride the brake to keep the car > stationary or at speeds lower than approximately 10 mph. > > This is because the transmission couples at idle speeds instead of going > into a neutral condition. This self propulsion occurs whenever the drive > range is selected, even though no pressure is applied to the gas pedal. > > When the engine has to idle against this braking drag, the engine has to > work harder than if it were a no load idle. A byproduct of this > undesirable drag is increased fuel consumption as well as increased engine > and transmission heat. It might even cause a few accidents when the car > pulls into a slow car in front if the driver day dreams or his braking > foot > gets too tired. > > So why don't the automakers develop an automatic transmission that does > not > pull the car when the engine idles and there is no pressure on the gas > pedal? I think its possible to do this because Toyota had a CVT > transmission that was perfect until testers complained it was too > different > from regular hydraulic transmissions. So, Toyota made the CVT pull just > like all the others do. That proves Toyota is just as stupid as anybody > else in the business. > > This is No. 27 of 1001 improvements desperately needed. >
Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Smarter drivers than you shift into neutral on long stops. Your foot should still be on the brakes to keep you at the same location.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Like my father used to say, "Ideas are a dime a dozen." Nomen's "ideas" are often born from ignorance of the details and frustration in not being able to execute ideas in his personal life. That's just my opinion.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Thats why new cars in a couple years will shut the engine off when your stopped. The Hybrid Silverado was a testbed for this and it will be incorporated into most models soon.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Oh God no.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

So, pick a lower gear with your auto-stick when you're stuck in traffic...

Reply to
Jorge W. Arbusto