Re: China - get ready

Automotive News - May 14, 2007

> > Last year, China eclipsed Japan as the world's second largest > automotive market, including commercial vehicles. By the end of the > decade, China could pass the United States. > > Like a small planet, China is exerting its gravity on global automakers > and major suppliers. With growth stagnant in mature markets such as > Japan, the United States and Europe, China's booming economy is > irresistible. > > Volkswagen AG and General Motors are the top global automakers in > China, but Toyota Motor Corp. is gaining on them quickly. > > Meanwhile, Chinese automakers are swiftly gaining expertise. They are > launching their own brands
building their> engineering staffs and exporting to developing markets in Asia and> Africa. And some are laying plans to export vehicles to the United> States. > > China is determined to join the world's major industrial nations. The > auto industry will help it get there. >

And this is why we need to be inslaving illegal immigrants...put them to work for us for free so we can build a more inexpensive car.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Didn't we already try enslaving one race awhile back? Look what it's gotten us. Do you really think we should do it again?

NEO

Reply to
N9NEO

"WE?"

It was their race that enslaved them to begin with.

Come to think of it, over the last XX thousand years, many races were enslaved, including the anglo-saxon.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Its not what *he* thinks that matters, is it? ;)

Reply to
F.H,

Who's "we"? You and who else?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

if this goes on, the illegals will go to china in a few years. as the chinese get americanized, they'll need someone to shovel shit because they'll get to good to do it. so we need to build cheap, one way liners to aid this coming migration. a "liberty liner" sounds good. is there a henry kaiser in the house?

Reply to
someone

Well, I don't mind them building a car, but I sure hope they spruce up their machine work a bit. I don't see why a country that builds all the worlds advanced electronics would have such terrible machinists.

Reply to
Joe

If the cars they produce are anything like the food they produce, they will be deadly to drive. How could anyone trust a country that regularly puts industrial chemicals, sawdust, and garbage like that in FOOD that it exports?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Very important point. And apparently they produce mass quantities of vitamins. Heh, we just saw an example of their QC on dog food.

Reply to
F.H,

After a visit to Mickey D's, the Chinese figured that the Americans will eat anything.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
rm

After watching a worker at a McDonalds serve something that she had dropped on the floor, I believe you.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Would you like some melamine with that?

Reply to
Father Guido

Advanced electronics are assembled in China but designed in the US or other countries. oh, electrical components made in Taiwan.

Reply to
EdV

America will moan and bitch about the awful quality of the food and other products it imports from China, but will buy them nonetheless. Because the stuff is cheap, and Americans are nothing if not cheap. It worked for the Japs, it worked for the Koreans, and it'll work for the Chinese. The crap America buys from Walmart is a pretty good indication of the value America puts on quality. Meanwhile, when the last American worker leaves the last American factory, turn out the lights behind you.

Reply to
Rob

I have been reading this thread and the great amusement it has provided me is terrific. However you say Americans are nothing if not cheap, you could not be more hopelessly wrong. Just take a trip to any country that gets a significant number of American tourists and ask the locals who are the best tippers. You can bet you life, car and home that the answer you get from the overwhelming majority is Americans. We over tip to a fault. We also ( I have not yet checked the numbers to be certain) buy more BMWs than any other country and we all know what total pieces of crap they are, spending more time in the shop than on the road. I also suspect we buy more Mercedes Benzes than any other country. No we are not a country of cheap bastards like the non-tipping Asians, or under tipping English and French. We are just not very smart when it comes accumulating money. We spend everything we earn and then borrow more to spend.

Reply to
Double Tap

ADD: The people who shop at Walmart don't do so because they are cheap.

The US and China are the world?s two largest economies ? but the citizens of the two nations differ in terms of financial habits. For example in 2005, savings accounted for at least 30 percent of Chinese household income while the US registered no savings at all.

F.H,

When Henry Ford raised the pay of his workers to $5 per day (double what other manufacturers were paying), he said he was doing so in part because he wanted his employee's to be able to buy his cars. If the American workforce can't make a decent living, they'll stop buying products made in America, which will lead to fewer people making a decent living. This death spiral for an economy and a nation's middle class that we are now seeing is a result of Reagan/Clinton/Bush trade and economic policies.

Thom Hartmann (Screwed, pp 174)

Reply to
F.H,

For Merc it's

  1. Germany
  2. USA
  3. UK (not far behind USA)

As regards tipping, these broad statements are, as so many broad statements, either wrong or based on prejudice and/or ignorance.

Americans might tip 15% because if they didn't (at home) they might have the staff turn on them.

In the 'Germanic' parts of Europe tips are just tokens to indicate appreciation, e.g. pay EUR 25 for a 23.70 bill.

In parts of Asia such as Singapore a tip is an insult.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

When in Rome, do what the Romans do! Foreigners in America should tip and Americans in Singapore or Japan or other parts of the world shouldn't.

Reply to
EdV

True. Perhaps you should go to the airport and tell the people arriving what our customs and expectations are.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski