Re: Chrysler: Bring back a basic car

I can't think of anyone who didn't fall in love with the business coupe.

> You just don't see them anymore. Instead we see undersized cars with rear > seats that cram the passengers in like they're contortionists. If you > build a two passenger size car, don't put in seats for five people. IOW, > bring back the roomy two passenger auto with a roomy trunk. If I can come > up with this logical annual million car sales conclusion, why can't you > overpaid suits? > > All your cars are overloaded with high cost accessories. A basic car > doesn't even need roll-up windows. Think basic. How about slide-ups like > bus windows? Think cheap. Think basic. I desire a new high quality basic > car for $4,000 with a 100,000 mile comprehensive warranty.

And I'd be happy to pay £4,000 for it on this side of the pond. (as long as it has clean emissions and does a reasonable MPG)

Reply to
Adam H

"Adam H" wrote in

There's a problem with your "logic". Most entry-level car lines have a "stripper" version to allow them to advertise a low starting price. These stripper models rarely sell more than 5-10% of all sales of that model. Most people like some goodies i.e. air conditioning, cruise etc. That does not promise at all well for your analysis of market demand.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I dont consider A/C an option... Especially in Florida or Texas!!!! I wouldn't mind a stripped down version of a nice car. Something with manual windows, manual locks, no power seats. Good suspension and engine package though..... Wait, now I want a fleet vehicle...

Reply to
Homer Simpson

The flaw in your logic is the manufacturers often leave out a few basic requirements forcing one to move up, then getting many options one doesn't need. Lets face it, the profit is in the options. Manufacturers built for maximum profit, not to build the car you want. Then they use the emotional appeal to sell you what they want. The manufacturers who do this the most often get stuck with unsold stock when the economy changes. ie: A big jump in gas prices resulted in big vehicles not selling, screwing the manufacturers who put too many eggs in that big vehicle basket. They also do stupid things, such as a remote power mirror for the driver side only, but it's needed on the passenger side. Chrysler once did this on the Neon, yet it's something I'd expect on a car built in a country with the driver on the right side. The dumb vehicle ads of the last several years say a lot about the manufacturers attitude to the customers. They seldom inform of any desirable function, but tend to show vehicles doing ridiculous things with the help of computer editing. Many ads are very faked. Those ads are totally wasted on me, in fact I downgrade my attitude on the manufacturers who do them. The Dr. Z ads a few months ago were at least amusing, but they conveyed to me that the Chrysler 300 isn't stable on corners. manual windows, manual locks, no power seats. Good suspension and

I agree in general. Much of the power stuff is often in the way for me.

However differences in climate cause different user requirements. I don't need A/C, but since A/C became universal we don't have vent windows that direct air into the car. The built in air vents often don't bring in enough air and what they do is often heated by passing over the engine. Many vehicles even cool the blower resistor in that incoming air, not nice if you want just cool air without running the A/C.

I do desire at least one power lock because in freezing weather our door locks often freeze up.

Reply to
Some O

Blimey, Rover did just this - and look where they are now......

Glad my Neon has both mirrors powered!

Adam

Reply to
Adam H