Re: Detroit Rescue Plans Revealed

>> 5. Usage of incorrect or inferior materials in headlight lenses that >> cloud over on upper mid-line vehicles - like the LH cars. > > While some models see it sooner than others, that's pretty much > everyone's cars with plastic lenses. It's a function of the plastics > best suited for the job. The UV/hard coat quality varies, but ultimately > all the plastic lenses will cloud if the car is outside in the sun and > driven or the headlamps are used. Even mercedes plastic headlamps will > cloud over. > > The only way to avoid it at present that I know of is to use glass. >
Reply to
Mike Hunter

Please tell me where in the owner's manual it directs the owner to do this.

Oh, that's right, it doesn't.

Please show me where they show any advantage at all over glass lenses.

Oh, that's right, glass is far superior.

"Mike Hunter" talking out of his ass again... don't you ever get tired of flapping your gums?

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I see you've changed your 'from' to cut through filters again.

Anyway, while you try to be argumentive, you've agreed with me. What do you think a "polish" does? It removes the haze! Duh.

Before I replaced the headlamps on my mustang I polished them on occasion to keep them clear.

Reply to
Brent

Right... All 3rd-Generation Chrysco minivan owners must be wrong.

Reply to
News

Horseshit. Cloudiness will eventually permeate the entire thickness of the lens- you can't polish it out of the middle of the plastic! Its just the nature of plastics, and how fast it happens depends on how good the UV blockers used by the plastic maker actually are. In fact, polishing headlights too often will prematurely strip away the UV protectant layer, leaving the plastic lens even more vulnerable to UV damage.

Reply to
Steve

Darn, Steve - I hate to disagree with you because you just totally vindicated me in your previous post (regarding some cars being worse than others in this regard), but from my polishing of my Concorde headlights over the years, I have to say it is 98+% a surface phenomenon.

First it starts with the UV coating (a clear coat of some type - not sure how much alike or different it is from normal auto paint clear coat. Then - yes - as you say - you will polish (or sand as the case may be) thru the UV coating (it is a few thousandths thick, and I will concede that you may need to polish thru its entire thickness initially). However, once that thin layer is gone, my experience says that the surface is exposed to the air and/or sunlight is whats going to oxidize. Polish thru that microscopically thin surface, and you're back to almost the factory water-clear appearance.

Reply to
Bill Putney