Re: Group seeks law on window switches

Neato point... Dan *is* Canajun afaik! But this country is a remnant of the British Empire, and Imperial English (this is a preferable term to "UK" or "British" English, although equally generalized).

Maybe eleven out of twelve or more "Americanisms" are actually of British origin anyway. The best way to identify the obvious cases of this is to consider the *age* of the word. If it was in use prior to the late eighteenth century, it cannot really be an "American" usage: think the likes of "closet", "normalcy", "plow", "aluminum" etc. which are commonly misconstrued as American, when in fact they are *older* words, or *older* forms of the word.

"'Real' Americanisms" are more likely descended from Yiddish or Spanish.

Reply to
Ricardo

But lockout switches are very valuable for *protecting* children IF you use it.

Obviously the switch only protects children from using the windows if it is set to lock out the windows. So just make sure it is used before each trip. It is the driver's responsibility to set the controls so that the vehicle is operated in a safe manner. Of course remembering to use safety equipment before driving may be a challenge for drivers, like forgetting to use the mirrors before going in reverse, or forgetting that the pedal on the right is the gas, not the brake. If the driver switches on the lockout before driving and children are deactivating the lockout while the car is being driven, then I suggest that the lockout is not the critical safety problem. .

Reply to
Fred Jones

what good is a power window if you can't use it to crack walnuts??

Reply to
mark french
1) Imperial English. Never heard that before but I like it. Check! (as North Americans would say.)

2) I agree that lots of terms thought to be Americanisms are not.

Slightly off-topic (well, off this topic, as we are totally off the fog light topic), I have heard it said that a Shakespeare play performed in America sounds more like what it would have sounded in the author's day than when performed in Britain.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Yeah - but these days, too many people would relate that to "God save the "queen", and we mean it man!".

Bill Putney

Quite right, too!

:-)) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

What's wrong with that? I would rate Queen among the greatest rock bands...

:-) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling