Re: Mercedes still may profit from Chrysler

And I've posted the window-sheet (monroney) on a 300C showing that the

> transmission came from Germany (not all 300's have their transmission > coming from Germany, but some do, perhaps it depends on the model, or > if AWD). > >
> And also based on the window sheet for a 300, you will note that the > car is listed at only 74% domestic parts content. =A0That is actually 1% > short of what the US gov't considers as the threshold for a vehicle to > be called "domestically manufactured". >

Even though the content is only 74% American, that doesn't necessarily mean that the balance is German. I know that a lot of American car parts are made in Canada. I'm not saying that 26% of the 300 is all Canadian, but I doubt that 26% is all German either. Just speculation. I don't know for sure.

Reply to
weelliott

You're slightly confused. The 74% domestic number means US - Canada - Mexico. The 26% foreign content is stuff that is made from outside North America, so there is PLENTY of stuff that can come from Germany.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Domestic content does not include Mexican parts, only the US and Canada.......I know it doesn't make any sense, but that is the rule.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yeah, but look at a pre-Diamler LH car. They were only running 80% or so domestic, because they had things like Nippondenso alternators and AC compressors (or Bosch alternators and Malaysia-built Sanden compressors in some models), Mitsubishi or Nippondenso starter motors, etc. etc. etc. You even have to count wheelbearings, power window motors, power seat motors, electronics boards, door-lock solenoids etc. etc. which can all be made in Taiwan or Malaysia, too, so there's lots of room for non-German but non-Domestic parts too.

Reply to
Steve

And I posted showing that ALL LX transmissions are made in Kokomo.

Hey, did you ever find which Mercedes use that 6-speed auto yet?

Reply to
Lloyd

And I've posted window sheets showing some 300's have transmissions made in Germany.

I'll give you that. Mercedes does not have a 6-speed transmission.

What do they say on the Chrysler 300 web-based message boards about transmissions and where they're made for a given model or engine option?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Well, 1. And I posted that even the 300s made in Austria use transmissions made in Kokomo.

Reply to
Lloyd

Most of the posters here are saying that their transmissions are made in Germany:

I think it's beyond question that Mercedes transmissions are going into some 300 models - mostly SRT's but until I see other wise maybe also 300's with V8's and/or AWD.

Some claim to have "made in germany" tags on suspension parts, and that cruise control comes straight from Merc parts bin.

And until I read otherwise I'm going to assume that Daimler is getting a cut for anything being made that has some Daimler / Mercedes IP (intellectual property) content even if it's being made in a North American or Asian parts plant. That includes some "Mercedes-inspired" transmissions made in Kokomo.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Oh-I didn't know that Canada and Mexico were considered domestic. That makes sense. Ironically I was thinking of putting in a joke about how Canadian parts should be considered domestic since the U.S. annexed them. I thought it was bad when my father-in-law bought a 99 civic, and was told by the dealer that at the time it had the highest domestic parts content of any car sold in the U.S. I wonder if the regulations have changed since then, or if a whole lot of the honda is made here.

Reply to
weelliott