Re: newsflash sebring with 11500 miles on it fails 1st smog check

Data Retrieved:

Oh! The GREAT OBDII system. It is truly remarkable. Soon no vehicle will be required to visit any smog stations for smog testings. The upcoming OBDIII (three) system will check your vehicle's engine control system and emissions results as you drive. All emissions related engine codes, which are triggered due to faulty emissions components, will be automaticly transmitted via satilite to the VID (California's Vehicle Information Data Base). You will not be able to renew your vehicle's registration until your correct the emissions problem and reset your vehicle's computer.

In the mean time, the current OBDII system functions as will the OBDIII system, except at this point the only time your vehicle's engine communicates with California's VID, is when your vehicle is CONNECTED to the smog machine. If the smog machine scans any emissions related trouble codes with in your engine's computer, your vehicle will fail the smog inspection and you will not be able to renew your vehicle registration, or register your vehicle (if you just bought it).

Note: The OBDII system utilizes a "Readiness Flag" system. Unless all "Readiness Flags" are set, your vehicle will fail the smog test. In order for your engine's computer to set all the neccessary "Readiness Flags", your vehicle must be driven for at least 7 days any time the battery is disconnect. Disconnecting your vehicle's battery erases the set "Readiness Flags" neccessary to complete the State smog inspection.

The only other time a "Readiness Flag" might not be set, is if the system the "Readiness Flag" is monitoring has a malfunction. (example. Fuel Managment Readiness Flag Not Set due to failing Oxygen Sensor).

I hope this information is helpful. I've found allot of good data form a website called

If they do it like in Maryland, that is correct. They don't "sniff" the > tailpipe any longer...they just hook up their computer up to the car's > computer. In fact the testing notice tells you that if the battery has been > disconnected recently, don't come in for a couple of weeks because you will > fail (even though nothing may be wrong). > > | You didn't FAIL the smog test. He picked up the code for a disconnected > | battery in the past 50 key cycles. > | > | > I have a sebring that I don't put much mileage on (has 11.5K on the > | > odometer)and it failed it's first smog! > | > The dealer tells me it's because the battery was discharged sometime > | > in the recent past and that I would have to drive it daily for a > | > number of miles for about a week. They would then re-test it. > | > > | > Is it only me or does anyone else feel that this is unacceptable. > | > > | > The car is practicly new. I've seen 2004 demos with higher mileage > | > than my car. > | > > | > > | > Chatty > | > |
Reply to
Alec Vega