Re: SMART CAR is the Solution

Lock yourself in a garge with one and let me know how it turns out... :-/

The fact that a diesel has no throttle makes no difference. Gasoline engines ingest ENOUGH air to burn their fuel as completely as a diesel can. CO production is more due to quenching of combustion against the (relatively) cold combustion chamber walls rather than to a lack of available oxygen in the intake charge.

Reply to
Steve

That's wrong. There is also NOx, which diesels still have trouble with.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I'm surprised that oil changes are this far apart on a diesel as they fill the oil with crud a lot faster than gas engines. Yes, but diesels have injectors and injection pumps and they don't last forever either. And they cost MUCH more than plugs and HT leads.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It's still a cheap s**tbox.

Ditto. (even if the sportier versions are somewhat appealing)

How so? What are the higher end car offerings? (sound of crickets) IMHO most of them are just bigger versions of the same crap (any Chevy) or warmed over versions of ancient platforms that might have been good in their day but need serious attention to stay competitive (Mustang, Lincoln LS, Crown Vic) or have such bizarre styling that many people don't even give them serious consideration (any Cadillac.)

True, but at least Nissan (to take one example) has a solid, regularly revamped car lineup, with the Sentra, Altima and Maxima not to mention the 350Z, not to mention the Infiniti offerings. None of which have any serious domestic competition with the exception of the Z.

Can you seriously tell me that someone considering the purchase of a non-entry level (and that's not even a necessary qualifier) *CAR* doesn't consider many more offerings, and of a generally higher quality, from import mfgrs. than those currently offered by the Big Three?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If we didn't have as shitty sulfur filled gas, the cat converters would work better, and would be able to convert NOx.

Reply to
Bill 2

The Cavalier is marginally better in 2003-2004 model years. Not amazing, but better.

I walked around a used car lot one afternoon and was amazed at the number of Cavaliers missing HVAC control knobs.

They are trying to catch up to the domestics who are selling tons of SUVs. Right now isn't the best time for SUVs though, and the market may shift.

Reply to
Bill 2

Focus is more expensive compared to the Neon, so it's an expensive s**tbox.

What do you want from a cheap compact car? I've driven domestic and import offerings. I didn't find anything amazingly different, other than the price.

He meant exception to domestic econoboxes improving recently, not compared to other GMs.

Nissan isn't really that amazing. For non-highend import brands, Toyota is the only company that has any significantly higher reliability rating, and for imports Honda comes second but mainly Honda has all sorts of funky leading edge engineering (but does have some reliability / build quality issues). With most other import brands you seem to pay more, but don't get anything in return.

Consider, yes. Come to a conclusion that it would be "better", no.

Reply to
Bill 2

I have asked DC to quote me emission figures on a couple of Mercedes diesels and equivalent petrol engines. It might take a couple of days.

In the meantime, the CO2 figures, which are the most required in the UK because of taxation (yes, I know it's silly, but there it is), are:

C 220 CDI - 178 g/km C 200 Komp petrol - 202 g/km

S 320 CDI - 204 g/km S 350 and, apparently, S 280 petrol - 266 g/km.

Diesel emits less CO2.

I asked for CO, NOx and particulates and, if applicable, SOx.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

The chrysler UK website quotes the following emmisions figures.

2.2 Diesel 185 g/km 2.0 Petrol 212 g/km

John Rogers

Reply to
John Rogers

You know and I know and everyone else knows that pretty much *any* import brand will cause less headaches in the long haul than the domestics, including the much maligned VW (even taking into account their assaholic dealer network and customer service in the animal husbandry sense of the word) and the fact remains that pretty much

*every* import brand has a better product lineup (excluding trucks and SUVs) than *any* domestic.

I don't understand your reasoning behind that conclusion. One ride in a Golf, Sentra, Civic or Corolla should make the difference obvious. Sad but true.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

DC directed me to a UK govt website

You might find the data interesting in the petrol/diesel debate.

Merc diesels produce less CO but more NOx than their petrol counterparts. They are also quieter on the move.

Automatic transmission.

S 320 CDi diesel (to latest EU standard IV) (followed by S 350 petrol in brackets Euro standard III)

CO2 - 209 g/km (266) Noise level (moving) - 69 dB(A) (74) CO - 0.069 g/km (0.185) HC - n/a (0.050) NOx - 0.228 g/km (0.046) HC + NOx - 0.240 g/km (0.096) Particulates - 0.003 (n/a)

C 220 CDi diesel (followed by

CO2 - 166 g/km (204) Noise level (moving) - 73 dB(A) (74) CO - 0.030 (0.591) HC - n/a (0.079) NOx - 0.339 g/km (0.019) HC + NOx - 0.350 g/km (0.098) Particulates - 0.035 (n/a)

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling