Re: Tappet Noise

I felt sure the noise coming from underneath the "rocker box" was tappet noise. However, I have had both boxes off, taken away the lifter system and examined it ..... everything appears to be OK! I was wondering if the noise that I hear could be anything else or whether I might be missing something here.

It is a "tap-tap-tap" noise that increases with engine speed ..... it is quite loud on idle and gets worse on speed up. Any ideas would be gratefully received Thanks in advance Tony

Reply to
Tony Brennan

Reminds me of an exhaust leak I had once on my '88 3.0L. The rear exhaust manifold was cracked and the sound was a tap tap sound that matched engine rpms and got louder under load. A mechanics stethescope or like tool would be helpful to isolate the source of the tapping.

BTW, the "rocker boxes" are called valve covers.

Reply to
David J. Allen