Re: The Auto Industy's 2nd Biggest Fear

It will meld into a non-issue. The masses go with the flow. For a time it

> has been SUVs and Pickup trucks. In the near future everyone will feel > comfortable in Tata, SmartCar, VW Beetle and Priapisim cars. The race will= > be on to the cutist and stingiest cars. > > Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this > non corrisponde ad un utente =A0 |message is not related to a real > reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an > di un sistema anonimizzatore =A0 |anonymous system > Per maggiori informazioni =A0 =A0 =A0|For more info > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

Gosi

Maybe these auto executive should consider the possibility that there are tons of people putting off car purchases until they can actually buy something that gets decent gas mileage.

Reply to
scott21230

I don't think the auto executives are too worried about the loss of those two sales...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes.

I'm hoping the CAFE rules screw the sales of new cars up royally across the board. Foreign and domestic.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Typically car buyers purchase what they can afford. First question usually asked by a car salesperson is, "how much a month are you going to pay?"

We will ratchet down buyer expectations as the cost increases. In addition to energy savings, benefits will include lower unsprung weight, translating into less damage to roads and bridges. And, highway noise levels will decrease.

Yea verily-- the masses will go with the flow. If you want a muscle car, those will be available too, they will be labeled, "export only" and you'll pay a hefty premium to bring them back into the country.

Regrettably, Mercedes was the first to put a toe in the water with the Smartcar. Shame we didn't have the guts to do it.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Which has nothing to do with the discussion to this point. People already have the option to buy a lot of available cars that are 1/2 the price of what they currently drive, get higher gas mileage, yet they continue to buy Accords, Camry's, trucks, SUV, and whatever. There is simply more to the equation than buying the smallest, most sardine can-like vehicle on the road purely in the name of fuel economy.

Sounds good on paper (to you at least), but what a crock. The difference in wear to roads between the average mid sized sedan and one of these wonder cars is negligible. The noise levels won't be any different. Well - maybe they will be louder with these miracle cars, as the sounds of sheet metal and plastic grenading and the sobs of the dying souls, overwhelms the sounds of the typical mid-sized sedans driving by.

Too bad the flow won't be these cheap throw away caskets on wheels. They may be fine for city use, and maybe even for the 3 mile jaunt to the grocery store (as long as you don't buy anything more than a gallon on milk), but for the normal driving needs of the average American, these things are not the solution.

Regrettably?? It's not a novel concept. There have been urban cars forever. Besides the marketing hype that Mercedes threw at this thing, there's nothing unique in this car. Manufacturers all over the world have built this type of concept for decades.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The fact is MB has yet to make a profit on the Smart. Probably great for CAFE, however. How 'smart' is one to spend 17K to buy a midget two seat car when one can buy a four seat Civic, Focus or Corolla for that kind of money. Better yet one of the others on the market in the 14K range, simply to save a relative few hundred dollars annually on fuel?

Reminds one of the wisdom of those buying hybrids. The premium one must pay to buy a hybrid, over its conventionally power twin, will by ALL of ones fuel for the conventionally powered car for the four years that the average new car buyer keeps their car. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

The only advantage of the Smart is size. If you live in a large city, you suddenly have more parking options.

As for fuel mileage, I was able to get 42 mpg over 1200 miles in a Smart ForFour. While good, that is obtainable in other cars. The ForFour has what they call a back seat. I did not try to sit in it though as there was barely any leg room. Handling was pretty good even on the highway, cruising along with the bigger cars on the Autostrade.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike hunt" wrote

KKKonservative Economists are constantly telling people that Money Conservation = Energy Conservation.

Mike illustates that in the real world, what the KKKonservative Economists are saying is nothing but pure unadulterated lies.

As to the Smart. At the moment, it's the only car that I would purchase.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

And fuel economy And manouvering And safety And it's rust proof aluminum frame. And of course the quality of it's European manufacture.

No one wants to purchase AmeriKKKan built crap.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

Why do you put three K's to spell conservative? With all do respect, there are fine people who are both politically conservative and liberal and don't oppress people the way the KKK does.

I keep wondering what a "relative few hundred dollars" means. How is that different than "a few hundred dollars?"

I have no idea what you mean by KKKonservative Economists myself. Perhaps you would be kind enough to share with us what you mean.

There are other small cars that made a ton of money. MB also bought a car company named "Chrysler" and ending up giving away money to dump it. That they are losing money on the car (and, IIRC, it was a multibillion program) is not surprise considering their investment in Chrysler.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

WTF? Why do you keep bringing up the KKK? You are an idiot or something?

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote

There are two kinds of KKKonservatives. Those who are knowingly Fascists, and those who are unknowingly Fascists.

"Jeff" wrote

I guess that puts you in the unknowingly Fascist cateory.

"Jeff" wrote

And which will rot away in a few years. SMART has an aluminum frame that will not corrode.

"Jeff" wrote

Dumb purchase.

"Jeff" wrote

If they don't produce it.... China or India will.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

"Jeff" wrote

Fascism = Corporatism

KKKonservatism = Corporatism.

Draw your own conclusions.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

I did.

You're either very stupid, high or drunk.

In any case, *plonk*

BYE

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote

Run away Shit Stick.. Run away....

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

Do you know about some new miracle aluminum that does not oxidize?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Obvious conclusion - you are indeed an idiot.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote

As all intelligent people know, Aluminum is like Copper in that it's oxide is insoluable in water. So any thin layer of oxide that builds up on a piece of Copper or Aluminum metal protects the metal from further oxidation.

This is why copper is used for roofs and Aluminum is used for siding and ladders.

Aluminum ladders don't corrode through when left outside or exposed to water, like a steel ladder would.

Aluminum car frames are imperviouis to corrosion in exactly the same manner.

Consider yourself Educated Mike.

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Says the Fascist.

""Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Mussolini

Reply to
V-for-Vendicar