Re: Top ten all american sports cars

America doesn't make sports cars. A sports car is like the MG-TD or even

> an Austin Healey. A long time ago, we made some cars that you might call > sports cars, but we don't anymore. The Corvette is not a sports car and > has never been, though the '53 comes closest.

We certainly didn't make 10. That's for darn sure. You could argue about one or two cars Americans have built, but not 10.

I didn't click the link, so I have no idea how stupid it is. Aren't BMW Z-cars made in the USA? That's one, maybe. That's how desperate we'd be.

Reply to
Joe

Sure the USA makes sports cars.

IMO a sports car is:

-a 2 dr convertible.

-very good handling.

-hard ride.

-low ground clearance.

-inadequate or no spare tire.

-hard to get in the drivers seat.

-high price.

-unsuitable for winter snow driving for several reasons.

Reply to
Just Facts

Is it required that they break down a lot?

Bill Putney

Please don't click it, it'll just justify that goober's continued spamming by boosting his hit counts.

Aren't BMW

Pontiac Solstice, Viper, and Corvette are all the ones I can come up with in current production. And of course the 55-57 T-bird qualifies as does the Plymouth Prowler. If you allow fixed-top vehicles, then you can add enough 2-seaters to *maybe* come up with 10 postwar models that could qualify, because that allows the AMX, Fiero, DeLorean, and a few other very limited production cars.

Reply to
Steve

If so, only the 70s Corvette would qualify ;-)

And definitely the Delorean if we allow fixed tops :D

Reply to
Steve

Why is a car built in Ireland considered an American sports car?

And why is a Panoz not a sports car?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Probably that disqualifies it on two points. As if the French engine didn't already. I didn't actually remember where the thing was assembled.

I would say it is, I just didn't comment in the positive when I quoted that section.

Reply to
Steve