Reasonable price to replace fuel filter on 2000 Chrysler Cirrus

I recently had the fuel filter in my 2000 Cirrus changed by a local Tunex shop. The cost was $136 with a NAPA / Wix filter.

I was surprised that the labor was 1.5 hours. A post by a Chrysler tech on this NG, noted that it could be done in about 20 minutes if the vehicle is on a hoist.

Are there any other shops that could do it for less, or is 1.5 hours pretty much the going flat rate?

I was thinking of having Jiffy Lube do it, but decided against it after the NBC affiliate in Los Angeles caught three different Jiffy Lube shops not doing the work that had been paid for.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

The rear seat must come out and the fuel tank dropped to replace the fuel filter for this vehicle. Having Jiffy lube do something like this is as bad as purchasing a Haynes Manual to tell you how to do it yourself.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn - That was uncaring! LOL!

Bill Putney

Glen

A curiosity thing but how long does this take?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

According to a Chrysler tech that I communicated with, it can be done in 20 minutes with the vehicle on a hoist. The left tank strap has to be loosened, and the left front corner of the tank lowered. As Glenn said, the rear seat cushion needs to be removed, and the wiring lowered through the floor in order to lower the tank enough to remove the filter.

I tried to do the one on my 1998 Stratus a few years back, but could not get the quick release connectors undone. I ended up taking it to a shop. They charged $100, plus the cost of a NAPA / Wix filter. The Purolator one that I had purchased could not be used as the hoses were too stiff to move the connectors into place, once the filter was mounted.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

The question is not how long the repair takes but how much time the "book" says to bill.

KS

Reply to
ks

Of course you can always just cut off the quick release connectors and use hose clamps like everyone else does. ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt