"Recent" Minivan Transmission Performance? Opinions wanted --

I've got a good friend who's looking at used minivans, particularly those falling under the DC umbrella....since they are generally thousands less in price compared to the premium Asian brands, and still more affordable than other domestic brands. Realistically, we're looking at machines around 100K or so in mileage...

Now, once upon a time, we used to make ourselves feel better about our gambles by saying hell, if it did just find for 100K, it's got to have some life left in it....and if you were wrong it was a $250 automatic transmission rebuild or a few bills slipped to the parts yard.....but now he's shopping for primary transportation for his wife and kids that is far more sophisticated and expensive to repair if you have a major breakdown. Historically, Chrysler has had some reliability issues with its automatic transmissions used in the minivans...not to mention other deficiencies. My question is: with specific regard to the transmission, is there a model year that he needs to clear to avoid the aformentioned transmission woes, or is it an ongoing problem?

Many thanks to those who take the time to reply,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Since about '95 the Chrysler 4sp auto used in the Vans and also the 3.3L LH cars has been OK up to at least 200K kms if serviced properly. So IMO the key is getting a Van that has been properly serviced.

Reply to
who

I believe that this is correct. I don't think there were any design changes after 1995. These are the things that I have gleaned from over the years:

  1. Change the fluid regularly, and use the correct fluid. ATF+4 for
2000 and later models, and ATF+3 for 1999 and earlier. The bulletin regarding ATF+4 excluded 1999 and earlier minivans, but no one seems to understand why. Several have used ATF+4 in 1999 and earlier models without a problem.
  1. If you pull a trailer, follow the directions in the owner's manual, and stick to the limits regarding weight. A transmission cooler is also recommend.
  2. If you do need service, Take it to a shop that uses the correct fluid, has the correct scan tool(s), and other diagnostic equipment. Don't settle for a "road test" only diagnosis.

My father took his low-mileage, great condition Dodge Dynasty to a shop because the transmission wasn't shifting correctly. The guy took it on a "road test" and told him that the transmission was "shot" and would need a rebuild. He then offered to buy it on the spot, to which my father agreed. I think that the guy figured that it was a probably a solenoid pack, or some other easy repair, so he ended up getting a great car for a low price.

Of course, I didn't find out until after the fact.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Some hardware changes- for example the 41TE has now been modified with another planetary set to make it a 6-speed in certain applications, like the 4-liter powered Pacifica. And there have been quite a few software changes, too even for the 4-speed version. Since the engines are now throttle-by-wire, one huge HUGE change that improves transmission longevity is that the computer closes the throttle during shifts so that the clutch packs no longer have to dissipate the power being produced by the engine during the shift. It feels and sounds a little odd when you first drive one of these newer drivetrains after driving an older one, but the difference is significant. It almost sounds like a manual transmission being "powershifted"- you hear the engine throttle back, the transmission very very quickly moves to the next gear, and then the throttle opens again. It should greatly reduce stress on the transmission, and unlike a lot of implementations (coughGMchoke) Chrysler's close-the-throttle-during-shifts actually improves driveability. The shifts that result are extremely smooth- you hear rather than feel them.

ATF+3 may have been one of the bigggest problems all along. It has poorer stability and oxidation resistance than Dexron or even old Type F fluid. ATF +4 is THE way to go now- its a better fluid in EVERY way than

+3, and even has better basic stability than Dexron III and Mercon V
Reply to
Steve

Many thanks for your responses, if he's hell bent on buying Chrysler, I'll steer him towards these generations and try to make sure he digs up some service records.

Happy Trails,

Jon

Reply to
Jon