Remote Starter not able to install??

I just bought a 2006 Jeep Grand Cheroke Ltd, and I ordered a remote starter to be installed. The salesman said no problem, but called me back a few days later to tell that it was impossible to install.

Anyone heard of something like this?

Dan G

Reply to
kdanielgraham

I just bought a 2006 Jeep Grand Cheroke Ltd, and I ordered a remote starter to be installed. The salesman said no problem, but called me back a few days later to tell that it was impossible to install.

Anyone heard of something like this?

Dan G

Reply to
kdanielgraham

If I remember correctly when we bought our 2003 grand caravan sport we were told the same thing and it had to do with keys. I think we were told there was a special chip in it and would cost $1oo to replace. You probably got no valet keys with it.

Reply to
craig34

"craig34" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos .com:

My quess is that this isn't a factory remote stater.

Typically your ignition key has a chip in it, that will un- imobilize (is that a real word, should it be mobilize??) your car when it is near the ignition switch. The on board computer will not start your car without the smart key.

On factory systems, the computer is preprogrammed for remote start (If you indeed have that option from the factory).

To get around the factory imobilizer, simply take a key with the chip in it, and store it behind the dash, near the ignition. You've now defeated your car immobilizer, and a standard key or your remote starter, will now start the car. You can now cut as many un-chipped keys as you and your local thief want.

Should of gotten the option from the factory.

Just my 2 cents

Reply to
Nirodac

Hi...

Just another 2 cents worth...

At least here (Manitoba, Canada) we get a worthwhile discount on our insurance for having either an OEM immobilizer, or an approved third party immobilizer installed.

Should you be unlucky enough to have your car stolen, and it's somehow discovered that you've defeated it by hiding a chipped key nearby, then apparently your insurance is null and void.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Ken Weitzel wrote in news:3fwEg.414380$IK3.224012@pd7tw1no:

I'll see your 2 cents and raise you 2 more cents.

Yea here too (BC). Discount that is.

BUT, what if you defeat the factory immobilizer and install your own (as part of the remote start) approved, after market imobilizer.

So now thats 6 cents worth of advice.

Reply to
Nirodac

Reply to