removing a steering wheel

Our steering wheel is a tad off. I tried to take it off but found myself stuck. We apparently need a special tool to remove the wheel, is there another way. no one I know has one and to buy one for a single use is rather silly. Thanks in advance :)

Reply to
KOG

You can get the steering wheel puller at your local auto parts store for $10 or $15.

**HOWEVER** - you are going about it wrong. Unless you know that someone removed the steering wheel and put it on clocked wrong (doubtful), you should get a proper 4-wheel alignment done instead. *If* it is still that way after the alignment, the shop should adjust the tie rods (i.e., adjusting both tie rods in the same direction to maintain the correct toe in but change the direction of the wheels relative to the steering wheel) to center the steering wheel as part of the alignment that you paid for (should have been done without you asking, but sometimes you have to push them to finish the job).

I have done this myself on occasion (I'm anal about the steering wheel being perfectly straight), but if you don't know what you're doing, you can mess things up (adjustment of steering parts isn't something to guess at or experiment with unless you know what you're doing).

(If you think you can't afford an alignment, think again - if something is out of whack causing the steering wheel to be off center, it could end up costing you more in tire wear and ultimately an alignment anyway.)

Bill Putney

I haven't had a steering wheel off a car in 20+ years. Are they still splined to allow indexing or will they fit in only one position? Given that most modern designs try to eliminate assembly errors through better design, I wouldn't be surprised if they were keyed to fit only one way, but I'm curious.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

You could be right, Matt. I've not had my steering wheel off either.

Here's a key sentence from the FSM in the procedure on re-installing the steering wheel after removing it: "Position steering wheel on shaft of steering column, making sure the master serration in the wheel hub and on the steering column shaft line up". Although it could just be a visual cue, it sounds like a positive keying.

All the more reason (necessity) to fix this problem the right way by fixing steering/suspension problems, if any, getting a proper 4-wheel alignment, and correcting any off-centerdness with the bi-lateral tie rod adjustments.

Bill Putney

Yep, that is the right way to correct the problem even if relocating the steering wheel is possible.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Don't do that. That's not the right way to fix it.

Reply to
Joe

Yeah - there's several of us here that could use some professional help. 8^)

Bill Putney