Rented a RWD Magnum in wintery Montana - Yuk!

Where do you live? Where do you drive? Tell the truth now....

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

Where to you live? Where do you drive? Tell the truth now....

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote

Sorry Ted, wrong again. We have had ice/snow races up here for decades and the RWD cars are always hopeless. They have to go into a separate class, or are banned altogether.

BTW I have been driving almost 5 decades now (only 4 in Ontario) and I frequently want to wring the necks of dawdling grandmas of both sexes and all ages.

Reply to
Dave Gower

"Joe" wrote

Because to do anything like this you need to power all 4 wheels, not just two. I'm tempted to say your address is appropriate for your logic, but don't want to get nasty :

Reply to
Dave Gower

NowItsWhatever wrote in news:vmffh.1080$IO5.727 @trnddc01:

Before got smart and moved to South Florida I lived and drove in NJ snow for over 20 years.

Can't wait for the comments now... lol!

Reply to
Joe

"Dave Gower" wrote in news:mu2dndTlocz9G-DYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca:

A glittering generality at best.

Reply to
Joe

"Dave Gower" wrote in news:V6qdnS2a79z_HuDYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca:

As we've just seen, anybody can misinterpret anything to mean whatever they want it to.

Reply to
Joe

Funny....

My Mom used to drive a Volkswagen Square Back. 1500cc "Pancake 4", RWD, Engine over the rear wheels.

That car could - and DID - go ANYWHERE.

Volkswagen's Adverts used to say something like...

"How do you think the man who drives the Snow Plow GETS to the Snow Plow??? --------------- Volkswagen"

And the car ran on FUMES. It was getting 20+ MPG back in the late

60's!

Solid transaxle with Manual 4 Speed Tranmission. NO "CV" joints. NO "BOOTS" that fail and chew your axles up! And NO Complicated CRAP in the steering mechanism!

Dead simple to work on (for most things).

Her first was 1965. Drove it for 130,000 MILES on the Factory Clutch. Then sold it and drove a used 1971 with Electronic Fuel Injection!

When properly designed - RWD is FULLY superior to FWD - period.

Problem is, no one seems interested in doing a proper design on RWD!

My wife had to drive the "company" van a couple of weeks back. It was an "Astro" van. Unfortunately, there was a HUGE snow storm that day!

What a piece of SHIT! It is rear wheel drive, and not even positraction! It got stuck 3 times in places where I had been driving my Grand Caravan for over a week without getting stuck.

But the problem is that it was DESIGNED to be a piece of crap in the snow! RWD does not have to be bad in the snow - IF the automakers would stop cheapening out!

But after YEARS of brainwashing the public that FWD is "better" there is no way they are going to loose face by admitting that FWD was merely a gimmic to justify price needless increases!

It would be akin to Ford's gaff ad campaign a few years back...

"We have increased Ford quality over 200% in the last 3 years!!!" they proclaimed. What a buch of idiots. Every Ford owner I know that had purchased a Ford in the previous 3 years vowed right then and there never to buy a Ford again! They felt "taken", and rightly so!

And I would love to buy what I like.... If >

Reply to
NewMan

I had a Corvair I drove through the NJ winters many years ago - same concept as the VW. I used to pass all the FWDs that ran off the road because they couldn't steer when they lost traction.

Regards, Joe

NewMan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Joe

New Jersey snow. There's an oxymoron for ya.

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

Brother, you are hopeless.

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

NowItsWhatever wrote in news:%Clfh.3035$Ft4.1756@trnddc02:

So tell us, what makes _your_ snow so special?

Reply to
Joe

NowItsWhatever wrote in news:_Dlfh.3036$Ft4.787 @trnddc02:

slippery

Wow, only took two posts for you to prove yourself an idiot.

Reply to
Joe

Oh, I don't know. I have a place in Big Sky Montana. Average snowfall is 400 inches a year. Last year was a bit heavier than usual - 500 inches. Hmmm... Maybe you're right. Not so special...

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

Hey, you're the one who says RWD is better than FWD in snow and ice. I'm sure for a lot of people think that speaks for itself. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though. You just don't have much experience comparing RWD and FWD in serious winter weather.

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

NowItsWhatever wrote in news:Ouofh.8179$Q36.3845@trnddc08:

Sorry to disappoint, but I simply said that you lose steering with FWD whereas you don't with RWD. Go back and read.

'Serious' is subjective. To a guy in Atlanta who's not used to it, 1 inch is pretty serious. Believe me, I've had plenty of experience driving through snow with both RWD and FWD. Because you get more of it than a lot of folks doesn't discount anyone else's experience.

I'm still waiting to hear why 2WD plows aren't FWD...

Reply to
Joe

NowItsWhatever wrote in news:Yrofh.8178$Q36.2761@trnddc08:

It's not. There's just a lot of it. It only takes one snowfall to slide off the road. Your point is what?

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
NewMan

Winter driving in Montana, and Minnesota (where I was raised and learned to drive, in RWD cars) consists of driving on roads that are covered, non-stop, with ice and snow for weeks, sometimes months. It doesn't melt immediately. It doesn't magically disappear after a few minutes... and then more snow and ice are dumped....

New Jersey snow. Phhhhttt... A little dusting, occurring rarely, that rarely accumulates. You're hardly an expert on winter driving.

Reply to
NowItsWhatever

Think about it genius. Several tons of gravel in the rear box over rear wheels covered in chains might have something to do with it. Apparently that works just fine.... Feel free to try that on your RWD car. Get some chains for your rear wheels and fill up your back seat and trunk with sand.

Reply to
NowItsWhatever