Replacement Tires for PT Cruiser Convertible

The Goodyear Eagles are starting to show wear at around 27K. They are not smooth tires and I do not like the low profile. Would 75 or 70 series tires be better as a replacement? If so, what brand? Thank you

Reply to
<CountFloyd

If you mean you do not like the appearance of the small tire height-to-wheel diameter, your two choices will be to go to a taller tire (i.e., larger tread OD - which could be accomplished with several combinations of treat width/profile) which will throw off your speedometer/odometer readings but will change the tire-height-to-wheel diameter appearnce, or to go to a smaller wheel and higher profile number (maintaining similar tread width) to change the appearance and maintain the same tread OD and speedometer/odometer calibrations.

Or do you mean you want a narrower tread and higher profile number to maintain the same tread OD and speedo/odo calibrations but change the ride/handling (i.e., appearance from a tire height-to-wheel diameter standpoint will remain mostly unchanged from what you have now)?

Bill Putney

I recommend staying with the OEM size. There are a number of superb replacement tires out there. A quiet, long wearing and smooth riding replacement would include the Goodyear TripleTread.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Bill, Exactly, a tire that will give me a higher profile and narrower tread. "What do you mean there's no movie?"

Reply to
<CountFloyd

I guess I'm wondering what exactly you are trying to change (appearance? hydroplane resistance? tire cost?) and why. The only reason I can think of to maintain the same tread OD and go narrower on the tread is increased hydroplane resistance (because appearance will not change - at least from the side/profile view) - is that what you're going for. On second thought, rather than me keep guessing - what is your motivation for the change?

Bill Putney

Bill, I am trying to get a taller, narrower tire that will fill up the wheel well. The car has the 16 inch rims and I was thinking of seeing if a higher profile tire would be better for the looks. Also, the low profile tires do not seem to ride as smooth.

Reply to
<CountFloyd

I can't help with the looks issue; however, I can share my experience with wear and smoothness on OEM tires.

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. From the day I took delivery in June 2000, until I replaced the tires in August 2005, I was unsatisfied with wet traction and harshness of ride on the OEM P205/55R16 tires. In addition, I had to add air every few weeks; it seemed they just didn't seal well on the wheels.

At about 25k the tires appeared to have worn rather quickly and would soon need to be replaced. However, that was an illusion; the remaining tread lasted another 20k and still wasn't worn down to replacement strips. I replaced them because I came out to find a flat one day and decided I was sick of the crappy Goodyear's that came on the car and wasn't about to spend another $15-20 for flat-repair.

I bought 4, same size, BFGoodrich Excentia GTH tires and couldn't be happier. Wet traction is good and, though Touring Edition's tight suspension precludes a smooth ride around town, the Excentia's are soooo much better than the Goodyear. It has been several months since I bought the tires and not only am I pleased with wet traction and ride improvements, I haven't had to add air to any of the tires.

Reply to
L, not -L