Replacing dash lights in 99 Intrepid

There is a light behind my temp gauge that just won't light. Rather than have the Grinch (read: service shop) take the whole tree, can this bulb be changed relatively easily?

Thanks.

Max

Reply to
M.D.

Mike Behnke

Thanks for the info Mike, I guess I'll just add it to the list of repairs to be made before the warranty expires.

Max

Reply to
M.D.

I think there might be confusion here re: the temp indicator and the backlight behind the gauge. I interpreted the OP's message as saying the guauge backlight is out. The temp indicator is a non-replaceable LED, but this is the temperature red idiot light, not the guage backlight. I'm fairly sure, based on the FSM information, that all of the backlight illumination uses regular incandescent light bulbs (bulb #'s in the FSM). The FSM also has replacement information (basically remove the instrument panel, then access from behind.) There are a lot of steps to get to the instrument panel though, been there, done that :)

Reply to
Greg Houston

Greg,

You are correct. It is not the temp led that has failed but the light behind the temperature gauge dial. I figured it was just a bulb of some sort. However, whether it is covered under warranty or not is a different issue altogether. I don't mind fixing it myself if you care to share the instructions to get at the instrument panel. You can e-mail off board at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca

Thanks, Max

Reply to
M.D.

You might want to go to

forums. I know the instructions on removing the instrument cluster have been posted there a few times - possibly once or twice by me, as well as others. They have an excellent search engine.

Here's the basic order of things without the details:

Open driver's door and pull off the end cover on the dash.

Remove the top and bottom steering column covers (torx screws from underneath, and also requires removing the tilt wheel lock lever - one torx screw).

Remove instrument cluster bezel screws (part of which extends around end of the dash - that's why you had to remove the dash end cap). You might also have to remove panels underneath dash to gain access to bezel screws. Bezel will hang by the headlight switch wires and give enough access to cluster area.

Carefully remove instrument cluster bezel (tight clearance above steering column - take your time - find the best orientation to clear everything - may have to temporarily re-attach lock lever to tilt wheel down if not already that way).

Remove screws holding inst. cluster in dash - IIRC, two screws at bottom.

Pull out cluster.

Light bulb sockets are removable from the back of the cluster.

Note: Cluster connectors automatically re-mate as you re-install it. Just insure that they properly mate as you gently push it home - they can hang if they get cocked a little.

Bill Putney

Bill posted the best advice I can give you regarding getting to the instrument panel. I don't think the upper and lower steering shrouds require tools on the Intrepid though, they just snap off (carefully) after removing the tilt lever. It's been over 4 years since I've done it though; my memory is a little fuzzy. I highly recommend following the FSM, at least for the diagrams.

If you are interested in automatic headlights, it would be a good time to do that mod on the headlight switch since you already have everything apart. It's a simple mod, once you get to the headlight switch, and entails just removing a plastic stop to permit the switch to be turned to AUTO. More info is available at dodgeintrepid.net

Good luck!

Reply to
Greg Houston