replacing ignition

I'm trying to replace my ignition switch. (Sometimes the car won't start at all--problem is solved by wiggling the key.) I've got steering column wrapper apart and the top piece off (maybe that wasn't necessary...), and I removed the column adjustment handle. But between the steering wheel, the igntion switch, and the dashboard, the bottom piece won't come off. Anybody know the trick?

Reply to
scott

It might help for us to know the make/model/year! 8^)

Short of that, there often are screws (typically 2) that you access from underneath in recessed holes - you would have to turn yourself upside down under the steering column to see to remove them - might be phillips, might be torx. If there's a tilt wheel release lever, you might have to remove that too (again - typically 2 screws, accessed from the side).

Short of your posting the vehicle description so someone here familiar with it can give a specific answer to your question, pay

$25 for a year's subscription to the FSM data (and full TSB access as a bonus) that will come in handy for this particular job as well as future stuff since it's obvious you are operating at some level of DIY'ing.

Bill Putney

Reply to
scott

OK - The wedging is due to the steering wheel being tilted more down than up. The step before removing the tilt lever is to tilt your steering wheel all the way up, *then* remove the tilt lever.

All you need to do at this point is re-attach the tilt lever, tilt the wheel up, then remove the tilt lever. That won't take but a minute.

Bill Putney

Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I did raise the steering wheel all the way up before starting any of this. Also, I found that I can still adjust the tilt by pulling on the plate to which the adjustment lever attaches. This lets me tilt up the column a teeny bit more than the highest rest point. But I still can't get the housing off.

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
scott

Hmmm - unless someone who is familiar with that specific vehicle comes on, you may have to bite the bullet and do the AllData thing, with the risk that the FSM did a little hand-waiving on the instructions and doesn't tell you any more than you already know.

How much interference is there? Any chance you can force it without breaking it?

So it's wedged between the steering wheel and what? Any possibility of removing whatever is on the underside that's binding it up (lower dash trim pieces maybe)? Bill Putney (to reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with "x")

Reply to
Bill Putney

Should have said "...between the steering column and what?".

Bill Putney

Make sure there isn't a 3rd screw underneath right in the center in a deep recess. If all else fails go buy a Hayes service manual for your specific vehicle - typically $7 - $15. They are certainly nothing like a factory service manual but you can do most repairs using one.

Reply to
<jbharri

just curious -- was your problem of the engine cranking over but not starting or just not cranking at all. The past month or so, a problem started with mine where you would turn the key and it would crank but not start. I would turn it off and try again and then it would start. Doesn't happen 100% of the time. When my fuel pump went out I thought this might have caused it, not getting fuel all the time, but it's even happening after I had the fuel pump replaced.

thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs