replacing middle brake light -- Grand Cherokee

How can I replace the middle brake light on the back of a 1997 Grand Cherokee?

The plastic trim on the back of the rear window comes off easily. Yet, when I look at the light housing, it appears to be glued to the rear window. Do I have to replace the entire brake light housing? How czn I take the housing off the window?

All thoughts on the matter would certainly be appreciated.

ed.

Take it to the dealer and watch how the guy does it.

Or buy a factory service manual.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Hello,

Usually, there is a rubber socket that twists in/out of the housing

--- find where wires enter the housing -- chances are you will see the back end of the rubber socket with wires coming out of it... Twist it counter clockwise and it will come out. I do not know specifically about Jeeps, but that is how it usually works on Chrysler products.

If you are completely stumped, you might consider buying a one day pass to the electronic versions of the manual by going to

--> the cost is $20 which is probably CHEAPER than you will end up paying the dealer.

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
april1st

Alex

How much can be downloaded? I looked at the tech authority site and there are several things that I would spend the $20.00 for. Can I get the whole service manual for my 2001 Dodge Ram PU?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

It is impractical to "download" the manual. It is in HTML format broken up in the page-by-page format with hyperlinks. You can attempt to print out what you need, such as TSB's to date, etc. However, it is far more practical to order a paper copy of the manual for ~$100USD -- a lot handier and easier in the long run.

Reply to
april1st

There are programs that can recursively suck down an entire website, unattended. I'm sure the authors of that site are like you and figure that their little trick of putting it into html will protect it from being downloaded and keep people coming back to pay more and more.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt