Rough Idle on 2004 Town & Country

I just bought a 2004 T+C, and I've noticed that it has a rough idle when hot. The RPMs dip to about 550-600 from the normal 700-750. This is noticeable when you've been driving, and stop at a light. Trip to the dealer resulted in "nothing's wrong". Pushing further, I found out I'm not the only one complaining of this, but DC's opinion is that there's not a problem, and the vibration is within specs. They said a rep came by, and measured it (not on my T+C) with a "G meter", and proclaimed that there's only .0xxx g's of vibration, so - no problem. I had a 2001 Grand Caravan, same engine - 3.3 - and it never did this. I've had one occurance of a "squish" (didn't go immediately when I stepped on the gas) (They had some wierd fancy name for that) I've forced them (I hope) to call D-C, and raise my complaint. Has anyone else experienced this? How do I push this hard enough to get it fixed? Is the failure to accellerate enough to go to NHTSA if it happens again?

Reply to
Bob

I have a 2003, but idle seems fine. However, if memory serves mine idles at about 600 RPM normally - is this low?

Reply to
Guy

How many miles? My 2003 had that for the first 5000 miles and seems to have gone away.

KS

Reply to
Kevin

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

Bring it back and raise hell because you've paid enough for it and AFAIK that is not normal.

A good technique is to ask to drive the dealer demo, with the service advisor in the car with you. Unless there is some design problem, which I doubt, that car will drive fine. Now demand they fix your car so it is the same.

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

Good idea about going for a ride in their demo. I've gone for a ride with the service manager in mine, and he was well aware of the condition, and under what conditions it occurs - he could actually predict when it would and wouln't occur. The thought crossed my mind to ask them for assistance in initiating arbitration procedures - whether I go thru with it is another matter - but at least it would get someone's attention at Chrysler. FYI, for the vibration to occur, the vehicle has to be hot - in closed loop as the service manager said - and in drive. AC on or not doesn't matter, but when the compressor kicks in, there's an increase in the vibration for a couple of seconds.

Reply to
Bob

If you can get the service manager to document this on paper then you would have some assistance should you go to arbitration. But, my guess is that Chrysler has a programmer in a back room somewhere who is frantically working on a new firmware version for the engine computer. Until that new version has made it through an entire test cycle so they can release it, Chrysler is going to continue to claim there's no problem.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You just bought the car and it has 3000 miles on it so far. WOW... you must drive quite a lot. Did you do a good long "test drive" before handing your money over to the dealer?

Dan

Reply to
SaintDan

Reply to