Rusted out oil pan

We have a 1998 Grand Caravan purchased new. At around 38K miles the oil pan began leaking....dripping actually... due to external rust. Gasket was fine. Yesterday the dealer replaced the pan at 50K miles as it began to leak badly.

The service manager was noncommittal on whether this was a chronic problem, but it seems strange to me. Other than the oil pan, the rest of the vehicle has no rust at all.

Of course this isn't a warranty item, but I was curious whether anyone else has experienced this with such a relatively low mileage vehicle. And no, there were no dents or crash damage, and the vehicle is hardly ever driven on a gravel road.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sometimes if you park on a dirt driveway for a long period of time the mostiure is more intense. If the pan had gotten scratched at one time, a cut, then the rust would set in...

Jake

Reply to
M Hayes529

No. For every gallon of gas your engine burns, carbon dioxide AND water are produced in different quantities depending on the engine efficiency.

Some of this

A blown head gasket is a far more common way for water to get into crankcase oil.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Buddy has a 98 or 99 ford van and it did the same thing, rusted all over the outside and started leaking.

Maybe with yours if it is leak>We have a 1998 Grand Caravan purchased new. At around 38K miles the oil

REMOVE the NOCRAP in my address to reply.

Reply to
Len

My '97 has some serious rust on the outside of the pan as well. Its definitly not from the inside. I spray it with boeshield t9 everytime I change the oil. The pan must be made out of the same metal they make old jeeps.

Reply to
Mark

Mark,

How many miles did you have on your van when you noticed the rusty oil pan?

One of the theories that I've read on this issue makes sense. Apparently some of the pans made for several auto companies were primed but not painted. The primer used absorbed moisture causing premature rusting.

Good luck with yours.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I think it first became a serious issue around 30-40K - All I can see is that it is black, I don't know if its only primer. I always wonder if it will rust out - I'll give it a coat of paint next time I'm under there ! I think the van has 80 or 85k on it now.

Reply to
Mark

Mark,

My oil pan was black also. Strange that the auto transmission pan appears the same color, but has no rust at all. Not that I'm complaining. In defense of DC, this van has been mostly trouble free. Of all the cars we've owned, some with 150K+ miles, I've never had an oil pan rust out.

If your pan is clean, painting it might be a fine idea. In case you're interested, replacement of the pan by the local DC dealer was $280.00. That's on a 3.0L V-6 engine.

Mike

Apparently

Reply to
Mike

If it's the 3.0, then it's probably a Mitsubishi built oil pan to go with the Mitsushitty engine.

Reply to
James C. Reeves