save on gas big time and it is FREE

we all can save a ton on gas just by slowing down our speeds milage ratings is done at 55 not 70 mph ,80 mph or 90 mph that everyone does on the freeway even on regular roads slow down and save 20 percent on gas COST TO YOU NOTHING!!!1

Reply to
philthy

Except time. Lots and lots of time.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

You can save even more gas by carpooling. Doesn't waste any time, and doubles your gas mileage just by adding one extra person who would otherwise have used his car.

Let's stick it to the greedy oil companies! Take 4 or 5 people with you to work!!! Forward this to everybody you know !!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Joe

Carpooling is only a "no-time" option if you're living with the person you're carpooling with. And you need to be at work at the exact same time they do. My wife and I don't even meet that second requirement (even though I'm a professor and she's a grad student in the same department at the same university).

When I see that last exclamation, I've got a pretty good clue I don't want to send the message to *anyone* I know, since the next package I received from them would likely be ticking.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

You cradle-robber, you.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
philthy

:) I suppose in my own defense I should mention that we were married before I went to work at NMSU 23 years ago, and (of course) also before she went back to school...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

(IFYTP)

Let's see, Albuquerque is 220 miles away from here. At 80 mph that's about two hours, 45 minutes. At 55 it's four hours.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Being an engineering alumnus of NMSU, I feel qualified to do the math :-) 220 miles at 55MPH and 30 MPG uses 7.33 gallons of gas. 220 miles at 80MPH and 24 MPG (using Philty's 20% savings factor) is 9.17 gallons. So the extra fuel is about 1.84 gallons, which is less than $6.00 at today's prices. 1.25 hours of my time is worth more than $6.00 to me, so I'm with Joe....I'll do the 80 MPH route. That's only

5 over the speed limit on I-25, you won't even get a ticket for that :-) You would likely, however, get run over at 55 MPH.

Reply to
Dipstick

Move to Albuquerque...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I think I'm better off making that drive once in a blue moon than every day to go to work...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Reply to
philthy

OK. So tell Exxon they are out $6 million. Now see what that does to the price of their gas.

I will grant you > you missed two figures based on 3 weeks ago pricing of $6.00 * 1 million = people

Reply to
Dipstick

Maybe you should try it for a week and see what happens.

I'm very interested in gas mileage and price because I drive a 150 mile delivery route every day. I keep my tires properly inflated and I do regular tune ups. At today's prices, if I can save a few gallons in a week, that goes a long way.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Reply to
Dipstick

You might be very surprised. I ride a 1980 Honda CB750K with NO faring on my daily 30 mile round trip highway commute. This bike puts me in a vertically seated position. You don't really feel the wind much up to 55Mph, but start going much above that and you really feel it. I'd guesstimate it takes twice the strength to hold on to the handlebars at 65Mph as at 55Mph, but it definitely does not take twice the strength to hold on to the bars at

55Mph as it does at 45Mph. If I want to go much above 80 I have to tuck down, or I won't have good enough control over the bike.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
Dipstick

really !were are you at? i know in michigan there is some long flat freeways and i used to go from southern michigan to the the northern part were my cabin is, at 55 and it added 20 minutes to the trip but kept fuel useage to a 1/4 tank with a bike in the bed and when the gas was 1.25 i would take my grand marquies and it would make the

172 mile trip > I used to get gas like that, too.
Reply to
philthy