Saw My 1st 300C on the Road Today

Sorry guys...FUGLY! What a bomb!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I don't get it. Chrysler finally, after over 20 years, offers a RWD car platform and drops in a thumpin' 340 horsepower hemi V8 between its frame rails and you're complaining about its styling after only seeing it once. James, often times new styling won't grab you right off the bat... I say give the 300C's styling some time to grow on you.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

To each his own. Its continuing to grow on me more and more. I do hope the Dodge version rumored for next year is a bit more on the sporty side, but the 300C is a great luxury version of the car. Much prettier than the 300M, to my eye.

Reply to
Steve

Does the styling change if you look at it more times? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Maybe the eyes change focus after staring a long time?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I liked it when I first saw it on TV, but was disappointed when I saw my first one at a dealership last week. But that one was black, which I don't think suits the shape - makes it look too serious or something. I might like it better in a lighter colour like the one on TV.

Talking with a couple of my friends and they were somewhat impressed, but with reservations. I agree with Patrick - you may need to wait and see how it ages.

But in general I think it's great that manufacturers are willing to try new shapes - as long as they don't produce an Aztec.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I have a breadbox in my kitchen...I don't need one in my driveway. Been looking at pictures for months...it's just as ugly in person. I've can't remember a time in my 50 years that something grew on me that I didn't initially like. Chryslers most recent designs were beauty from the start. But, as one post here said...to each his own!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

No doubt that the Aztek (and the Element) are even worse.

I was thinking that Chrysler's "Imperial" badge would have been a much more fitting name for the look of the car. I think of the "300" badge as a "Luxury Sport" vehicle...and I see NOTHING sporty whatsoever in the 300C.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
deadbeat

Sheesh - you'd think we're talking about wine.

You know, when the 300M was on the "can't go near it" rotating platform at the 1998 Detroit auto show, it looked great, and NO FREEKING BODY was saying "don't worry - it'll grow on you".

When the 300N was on the same platform in 2000, people's jaws were dropping and saying "I'll take one - now. Right now."

Say what you want about the 300C styling. It's clear that it doesn't have universal appeal. We all know it will have to do. It's all Chrysler's got. But you can't tell me it's better looking than the N, and you can't tell me that Chrysler did right by shelving the styling (and sales potential) of the N for 2 freeking years while the C was being designed.

The LX platform is not an example of "synergy" between Daimler and Chrysler. It's an example of the German Daimler managers and their dictatorial control over the direction of Chrysler's styling and car design. I'm surprised they let Chrysler continue with a car line at all. I guess they couldn't axe all of Chrysler's car lines at the same time.

Reply to
MoPar Man

I thought it was butt ugly when I first saw it in pictures and I still thought it was butt ugly when I saw it is person on Premiere Night. I've almost never changed my opinion of a car over time, so I suspect I'll think it is butt ugly 10 years from now. The good thing is that if you accidentally rear-end another car ... nobody will ever notice. :-)

To my eyes, ugly cars stay ugly and elegant designs remain elegant. Doesn't matter how old they are.

Sales will tell the tale.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

FUGLY is aztek and element ugly.

300C is in the class of Echo ugly. It isn't quite painful to look at, but I don't find it particularly attractive.

If the other qualities of the car truly are redeeming, then it will sell.

Reply to
Bill 2

Matt,

I see the smiling face.

I know there's been many cars I didn't like the looks of when they were first introduced, but after some months/years I started seeing the beauty in their designs.

Again, give it some time... I think you'll eventually like the looks of the 300C. And if you don't end up liking it, it still has a sweet

340 HP hemi under the hood. ;-)

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

I guess I'm the only one but I REALLY like the new C. If I weren't loosing my job in August there would be one in the garage right now. The big grill takes some getting used to, but I really like the way the headlights are set back just a little from the hood. Almost looks like the "eyebrows" from the late 50's. I also like the hide beltline and "gangsta" looking windows.

Can't wait to see what it looks like in Convertible form.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I saw a PRODUCTION Magnum roaming around where I live (northern Indiana) and I have to say it is as good if not better looking in person than in the pictures. This particular one had Michigan plates on it so I suspect it is a test car before they are released to the public. Still has the same stupid high beltline the 300C has, but the front end is MUCH better than the

300c. I had thought that the Magnum would be a lot like the Pacifica, but it really wasn't; it was not as tall as the Pacifica, and that shorter stance gave it a more "sportier" look.
Reply to
N.Cass

Actually I think the Aztek is not bad in the flesh but ugly in pictures. I am probably the only one besides the 3 people who bought one. The 300C isn't bad except for the ridiculous grill. It is not just the size, it is the shape. Looks like it belongs someplace else.

Reply to
Art

The inspiration for the design of the front came from the Chrysler design center concept vehicles of the early 50's from legendary Chrysler designer Virgil Exner.

Reply to
RPhillips47

I'm 44 years old and that hasn't happened yet.

What would be really neat is to have the hemi and rear drive in a PT Cruiser. Now THAT would be a sweet machine.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt,

It has happened to me more than a few times. Cases in point. My daughter's LTD (the small Fairmont type) I hated that body style when they first came out. A box on wheels, I thought. When my daughter and I went looking for her first car a few years ago we found an '83 LTD that we couldn't pass up because it was super-clean all-original low-mileage car. Yes, it looked like an old Grannie's car, but after I had her windows lightly tinted, blacked out the plastic trim around the headlights, slapped on some aluminum 10-hole wheels off a 5-liter Mustang, and added some 50-series tires the car looked awesome. I would never have imagined 20 some odd years ago that a late 80's LTD could ever look that good. Same deal with my current '93 Cobra. I hated the Fox Mustangs when they first debuted. Ugly, ugly, ugly, was my first impression. But by '87, I had to have one and bought a brand new one. For a Chrysler example, when I was growing up I thought the early 60's Valiants were as ugly as ugly could ever get. However, now when I see them, my reaction is the total opposite... I love 'em... they're quirky cool!

Oh, man... you are not kidding! If they ever built that, I would have one!

(Note: NG, sorry about the Ford references in this post. It's just that to me 5-liter Mustangs are the closest thing a to modern 340 Demon/Duster as you can get.)

Patrick (Still a Mopar fan)

Reply to
Patrick

The ('official') pics in this link might be interesting:

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling