sensor scan tool for 86 lebaron?

Has anyone actually used some kind of scan tool to read real-time sensor information from a k-car? Specifically, a 1986 chrysler lebaron

2.2 turbo? I want to see the output of all the sensors. I bought an autoxray at kragens for $400 and it didnt work. Tech support didnt help. Glad they let me return it. Makes me think maybe cars this old just dont output real time sensor data?
Reply to
acannell

Good guess! My '86 M-body doesn't even have pesky codes at all. You just have to know how the systems work and know basic electrical troubleshooting to fix one.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Yup.

Hard to say without knowing the model number. Looked at their website, apparently only the model #AX5000 and AX6000 support OBD1 protocols.

They do, but you have to buy the right scan tool. OTC Monitor 2000s go for $5-$10 on e-bay and will read live sensor data on an 86 turbo Lebaron.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

that vintage of automotive on-board computers were still very primitive compared to what is in the newer cars today

your best bet is to buy a computer control auto repair manual, and look up the procedure for your particular model

each one of the Big Three used their own system and own procedure to recall codes. If you have a carbureted engine, the computer control system is actually a real POS- as the best it can do it cycle metering rods in the carb to create rich/lean mixture

computer controls really came into their own and started working a lot better, when the automakers dropped carburetors altogether, and went to fuel injection- which can be metered much more precisely with fan pattern/volume/pressure at the injector

I was tempted several times to buy a hand-held unit, but the cars are updated so often and a modern hand held unit is usually obsolete and worthless in about 3 years or so. The garage I take my cars to be scanned, his $30,000 roll-away machine has been pushed in the back and is collecting dust now- he rarely uses it- as all the newer cars have gone to more advanced designs requiring a more upscale hand-held scan tool

your best bet with an older carbureted car is, return it to a basic design- fixed distributor base timing with vacuum/centrifugal advance, and a non-computerized carb- and disconnect the EGR- and run a straight vac advance line. The car will run much better and get around 13-16 mpg city with a V-8, better on the highway

computer control systems are basically EMISSIONS systems- it's the only way the automakers can lean out the mixtures enough, to get the cars to pass new car emission regulations

i.e. the old saying "mileage may vary"...

Reply to
duty-honor-country

Yes, much less power compared to MY2006. The particular one in question however is approximately 4 -5 times more powerful than the ones used on the Apollo 11 and lunar lander.

I think the whole point to the OPs post was not having to do things the hard way.

A 1986 LaBaron Turbo is definitely not carbureted. It is sequentially port injected and has timing control over individual cylinders.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with whether a system is scan tool capable. Ford built millions of fuel injected vehicles whose PCMs had zero data stream and had to be diagnosed via breakout boxes, back probing and (mostly) dumb luck.

The Snap-On MT-2500 scanner has been on the market for 19 years and is still being supported and updates are still available.

Probably more so because of pattern failure diagnosis and silver bullet repair techniques. Scan tools still don't/can't show you why a cylinder is missfiring, they can't pick out an open spark plug wire versus a lean cylinder. Usually, a capitol piece of equipment is abandoned because either the guy that went to school to learn to use it left the business or, because people balk at the charges incurred for hooking it up.

Ouch. My 78 Dodge Aspen with 360 4bbl cop motor could only manage 21 with the lean burn computer in and working.

The automakers don't "lean out" the mixtures. That's what they did in 1975. Lean = high NOx emissions. Lean = high HCs. Current fuel delivery strategy is to target stoichiometric (14.7-1). That is where the catalytic convertors are most efficient amongst all the end gasses.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Sure have. I've scanned a 1986 Dodge Lancer (basically same car as yours)

2.2L NON-Turbo, 1987 Plymouth Reliant 2.2L NON, 1988 Dodge Shadow 2.2L NON. All work perfectly, ONLY after I took some sandpaper and solvent to the terminal contacts in the computer interface connector. Since they had no protection from the salty elements of the Michigan winders, they were a little corroded...

Just make sure you are buying the right the tool. I own the Autoxray EZ-Scan 5000, which covers both the older and newer systems. If you did not purchase either the 3000, 5000 or 6000 it would not have worked for you. It doesn't appear that the 3000 is being made any more, but this unit covers JUST the ODB-I vehicles ('82 to '95). At best, you would need to purchase the 4000 and do an online upgrade to be able to scan the ODB-I vehicles (The

4000 is strictly ODB-II until upgraded).

Enjoy!

Reply to
FeMaster

Reply to
test

Yes, that would be the one... Generally found by the drivers side strut tower.

You experience is exactly the problem I was having; vehicle not responding. Try a small piece of fine sandpaper folded up enough so that it can be stuck into the terminal hole. If that's not working try some sort of solvent with the sand paper (use the wet type of paper of course), like some control/contact cleaner from Radio Shack or the like... Takes some time, but eventually you will get a good enough connection and it will work.

Reply to
FeMaster

If you get this to work please post to the group and tell us what sensors you can read and how you like it!

Reply to
acannell