Serpitine belt 300m

My 2001 300m has 97K and I was wondering if it wise to replace the serpentine belt now. I plan on keeping this car for another 100k so if I replace it now I shouldn't have any problem.

Does anyone think this is a wise move? I don't believe the original will last 200K and I don't want to be stranded when it brakes.

Tom

Reply to
Tommo

You're wanting to keep it so I'd definitely replace the belts. I think the power steering belt is a small separate belt that you have to remove anyway so I'd replace that one too.

Reply to
Marc

Umm - have you thought about the timing belt?? That's even *more* important.

Bill Putney

Check the belt for small cracks (on the inside) if there are any, replace it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
philthy

If it looks good, no cracks or wear I'd leave it installed but carry a spare.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Cracks across a raised rib or two, here and there, is normal and does not indicate a need to change the belt. But cracks that extend from one rib to another all the way across the belt indicate that it should be changed as soon as you can get to it.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard