Shadow won't start- error code 41

My '90 Shadow has been sitting for several weeks while I did some body work, painting, etc. and now it will crank but not start up. When attempting to start it there is often a strong smell of gasoline. The trouble code it flashed was 41- 'alternator field control circuit open or shorted'. The only work I did related to the electrical system was install new speakers, a subwoofer and fog lights. I also replaced the Hall effect sensor as I was having stalling problems. The Haynes manual has nothing on this particular circuit, if anyone could tell me where it is located on the alternator and also if a short elsewhere on the vehicle could trigger this error code (and keep it fthe engine from starting) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks .

Reply to
Greg Wilson