space for new brake pads?

I have to replace my front brake pads, on a '95 LeBaron.

A few years ago, I helped a teenage friend replace his on an '88 LeBaron, and when we were done the new thick brake pads caused his front calipers to open so wide that they hit the wheel when the wheel was bolted on. It was late Sunday, after the stores closed, and I had to find every big washer I had to have 3 washers per lugnut, so that he could drive home. Eventually he did something about this but I had a fight with his mother, and I don't know what he did.

Am I going to have the same problem with my car? Was the problem that I bought the "Best" brake pads, and they were thicker than average pads?

I guess I need advice about my car, but I would like some day to know what I did wrong with his.

--

Also, I think I have damaged one rotor. I would rather have the rotors tuned, buit time considerations will probably make it easier to replace them. Do I have to replace both rotors if only one is scored?

Thanks a lot.

mm

What you're describing is physically impossible, IF:

1) the stock wheels are being used 2) You reassembled the calipers correctly.

My bet is that your friend had some strange aftermarket wheels that didn't have enough clearance, and he got away with it while the pads were worn.

And putting washers behind the wheel is ASKING for a potentially fatal accident when the lug studs snap off as the wheel moves around. NEVER do that.

No. As long as the remaining rotor is greater than the minimum thickness, its fine.

Reply to
Steve

Two possibilities. One is that your teenage got some aftermarket wheels that had the wrong offset for his car. The other is that the pads you bought were not properly made for the car. Thicker than stock means they are not proper for the car.

You can get by just replacing one.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez