Sputter at StartUp/1999 300M

The faithful 1999, 300M with 65,575 miles, 'sputtered' at startup twice today. Has had regular oil changes,& service, last tune-up was 38000 miles ago. Seems to run ok after sputtering a bit. Your suggestions/advice will be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Reply to
argyliz

When were the ignition wires last changed? Have you pulled any of the spark plugs to see if they are carbon fouled?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

No plug wires on the 300M, Bob - coil-over-plug ignition. :)

But your suggestion on the plugs is good. Though Chrysler says the plugs are good for 100k miles, it's best to change them before 75k - don't inspect them and change only if they look bad - replace them regardless.

Also, for the OP - Here's a good possibility (the most likely, IMO): You may have a dirty fuel injector that is leaking down a little after it sits (overnight for example). This partially empties out the fuel rail, so the fuel pump has to refill and pressurize it before it will run smoothly - plus that cylinder (the one with the leaky injector) will be wet with raw gas at startup - both results explain the rough running at startup. An extreme case of this will actually cause difficult starting - sounds like you're not to that point. If this is your problem, you are at the early stages.

The GOOD news is that it is easily and cheaply remedied: Buy either some Techron? or Sea Foam? at the auto parts store and put that into the fuel for the next two tankfuls of fuel. That almost always fixes this problem. I've seen this problem reported many times on the 300M Club forums, and this is almost always the case.

Other things to consider if new plugs and fuel injector cleaner in the fuel don't fix it (but I think it will): Consider cleaning the throttle body (spray cleaner from the auto parts store - follow the directions on the can), and/or there may be some EGR valve issues. But try new plugs and fuel injector cleaner first.

Report back on how it goes.

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

thanks to all - especially Bill. Followed your advice, ran Techron thru her and now there is no problem.. this is a fine group, keep up the good work. Ralph Griffith West Chester, Ohio

Reply to
argyliz

You're very welcome, Ralph. Glad it's running well again.

66k - that's low miles for a '99. Take a look at the 300M Club forums
and see if you like what you see. Lot's of helpful people over there. Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with the letter 'x')
Reply to
Bill Putney