Starter problem, Voyager 94

Ive got a Voyager 94, Van, and sometimes when I start it, nothing happens, nothing at all, no sounds nothing... so I get out and rock the car (dont ask) and it works.... someone told me that it sounds like the starter motor is on its way out of the starter solenoid... what do you guys think? where is the starter located on this car?

Thansk for the help.

Reply to
Deaqthtouch

Most likely, it is the solenoid contacts. A common problem with this starter. If you are so inclined, you can replace the contacts yourself, or find a reputable rebuilder that can do it for you. Of course, you can replace the entire starter too. If you have the 3.3 or 3.8 engine, it is located on the front of the engine. Not too hard to get at.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Its actually the 3.0 Engine.... is replacing the contacts a hard job, Ive never messed with a starter motor before.

Reply to
Deaqthtouch

I had this problem. Start with the basics. Check the wires, like the one going to the distributor. Might be something as simple as that.

Reply to
treeline12345

I can try that, when I turn the engine on, nothing happens, no noise or nothing, except the parking brake light comes on...

thansk for that

Reply to
Deaqthtouch

So I had a look at it, and I taped it with a hammer and it works.... I think i will get the thing replaced anyhow... thanks for the help guys....

Reply to
Deaqthtouch

Definitely the contacts. I had exactly the same problem.

The contacts themselves are only worth like 50 cents! But you gotta re & re the starter, tear it down, and then machine the plunger as well.

When I had this done about 3 years ago, it cost me about $85 $CDN to have all the work done with taxes. I drove the van to a local rebuilder, and they rebuilt my starter for me. Basically I seriously cut out the middle men - ALL of them. :)

Quickest way is to just dr>So I had a look at it, and I taped it with a hammer and it works.... I

Reply to
NewMan

I had a problem with re-builts; went through several of them in our old '86 Voyager with the 2.4L Mitsubishi engine. I concluded that the rebuilder may have been acid washing the cores and inadvertently corroding one of the internal connections. So the bad news was that I changed it out a bunch of times before I found one that worked OK. The incentive to do so, on this car, was the ease of removal and re-installation and the "lifetime" warranty on the starters in that they were taken back with no questions asked.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

I will guess that you hit it with a hammer. You probably weakened the magnets, so it is most likely junk now.

Reply to
clemslay

Huh????

Reply to
Bob Shuman

An automobile starter has permanent magnets??

These are the ONLY magnets that I know of that are "weakened" by hitting them with a magnet, but I have not been able to demonstrate that idea to any real extent in my high school physics classes - these magnets still seem quite strong. YMMV in your physics class. Electromagnets seem to be just the same strength when "tapped" with a hammer - at least they are in my physics class.

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

Have for a long time now. That's how they make the starters so small.

Hammer, not magnet!

If you hit 'em with a hammer hard enough, they'll seem quite broken.

Starter field windings do not damage as easily as solid magnets.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

If you like to guess, you came to the right place. Welcome to USENET!

Reply to
Joe