Starter, relay, advice for 1991 LeBaron 3.0V6

Hello:

Well, my LeBaron almost stranded me at work tonight. No crank. I could hear a faint click, all power accessories were there. Battery voltage was 13.

I closed the hood, and tried it once more, and it started (good, this car can keep it's reputation of never stranding me in 19 years of ownership).

I have the starter off the car in a box ready to go for core exchange tomorrow.

It just occured to me that my starter relay may be the fault? I guess I should replace the relay just to be safe? I know I am throwing parts at the car, but so would my mechanic in this case of a intermittent crank condition.

BTW, this is the car that I thought had a faulty ignition switch, since multiple attempts would eventually get the car to crank.

Also, this car has the BOSCH starter. It was replaced with a rebuilt unit 11 years, and 44K miles ago.

So, advice, or opinions on starter, starter relay, or both replacement, please!

Take care, Bill

Reply to
billccm

This sounds like the usual bad solenoid contacts problem. I thought that only Nipondenso starters had this problem, and not Bosch.

KM

Reply to
KirkM

Is the Bosch the one with the round contacts that you could remove and replace. I remember some starters that you could do that on, you could either swap the positions of the two old contacts or lift them out and turn them 180° in their keyed orientations (I forget which - I think the latter) - the worn part is mostly on one side of the circle, so by their being rotated 180°, you're providing mostly new contact surface.

But I don't know if that's the starter with that type of contact. Maybe someone who really knows will reply.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Well, she is all back together. The new-rebuilt starter cranks the engine twice as fast as the old one. I juts bumped the starter and she fired quickly. Hopefully I am good to go. Thanks for all of the advice and replies. Merry Christmas, Bill

Reply to
billccm

So it was just the starter. Did you replace it with another Bosch, or another make?

KM

Reply to
KirkM

I went with a Bosch reman from PepBoys. The starter I pulled out was a Bosch, and PepBoys offered a "ProStart" reman for $64.99, or a Bosch "certified" reman for $94.99. Both hade a 12 month warranty, but I spent the $30 more thinking I would get a better starter. Perhaps I just wasted the extra money?

This new starter sounds like an airplane taking off. It seems to spin the motor so much faster.

I also spent the $11 more and swapped out the starter relay while I was at it. So far, the car seems to be fixed.

Take care, Bill

Reply to
billccm

Hi!

I don't think you did. While anyone can do a bad job of remaking something, it seems like the store brands have more of those than anything else. I'd favor the unit remade by the company who built it to start with, and I'd have probably done the same thing.

It was probably time, then. The last starter motor I did actually fell apart when I dropped it off the engine. I don't know how it even still ran--not well of course, but it did.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh