Starter Repair

I just repaired the starter on my '97 Voyager -- by replacing the 2 contacts.

However, looking on eBay, I see many auctions for a repair kit that also include the plunger. Is replacement of the plunger also necessary?

Also, in the process of repairing the starter, the drain hose/plug broke off (the rubber was quite brittle from age). Is is possible to replace this? If so, do I have to lever the remaining plastic out (the piece with a rectanglular slot, visible in the round hole in the aluminimum body of the starter)? And where would I buy a replacement?

Reply to
Whoever

I had my stater fixed at a local rebuilder a couple of years back. They replaced the 2 contacts. But they also put the plunger on a lathe, and machined it flat and shiny again. The action of the plunger hitting the contacts every time you start causes the contacts to wear, and the surface of the plunger to become pitted. If you do not replace plunger, or refinish the contact surface, then your new contacts will wear out quicker than the old ones.

So is it necessary? You can probably get away with not replacing it. If you are going to keep the van, then replace it. If not, then don't. ;)

Reply to
NewMan

I've fixed at least 5 (that I can recall) separate Nipondenso (Chrysler OEM) starters by replacing just the copper contacts. In all cases I thoroughly cleaned the plunger with a good stiff wire brush and then used electrical contact cleaner ..

I have had no repeat starter problems on any of those vehicles. That said, the absolute correct way to do this job is probably to replace the plunger contact as well since it too gets deformed/damaged by the high current, but since it moves around and does not always contact the same spot each time (unlike the fixed point contacts), it is in much better shape.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Need to know the proceedure for removing stater from 1999 Chyrsler 300M. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
J Hogan